How to design, cultivate, and facilitate a classroom culture where assessment is power and not punishment.
Maybe you’re like us, you’ve been changing your practice over the last few years, you’ve moved from the standard math class script of homework take-up, new topic, examples, and then homework again.
You may have even started with small things like Estimation 180 or Number Talks, or maybe it was open middle problems, or which one doesn’t belong prompts or maybe even stand & talks, however you started, you decided that there was power in these activities and routines.
You noticed that students talked about their strategies, you noticed that you learned more about what your students knew about the math concepts you were studying. So you regularly embedded these into your daily lessons.
The problem we (Kyle and Jon) had in our journey was: “How do I incorporate this new data, this insight into my students’ thinking into their grades?” or “How do I use this data this insight to adjust my lessons and planning?“
Join Kyle and Jon in this 5 module course as they teach you how to structure your assessment practices so you can use assessment to empower yourself and your students to promote their learning instead of using it as punishment.
What you’ll learn:
- Why your assessment practices need to change and how to make that change;
- How you can create a psychologically safe learning environment so assessment can promote growth;
- Two assessment practices you need to stop using and what you can do instead;
- Five formative assessment strategies that drive learning forward;
- How you can use problem-based tasks as assessment gold-mines;
- How to set up your grade-book to maximize assessment time with your students; and,
- How to set up digital portfolios in your math class.
A certificate of completion will be unlocked once each module and lesson in this course is marked complete.
Length of course:
Approximately 8.5 hours of video lesson content with another recommended 4-6 hours of reflection, planning and implementing.
Who can access this course?
Module 1: ANYONE CAN ACCESS.
All Modules: Make Math Moments Academy Members.
30-day Money-Back Guarantee and you can cancel anytime.
PLUS Academy Members can access over 10 other courses covering topics like Teaching Math Remotely, Assessment, Math EdTech Tools, Conceptualizing the Fundamentals of Mathematics, Spiralling and many more! See all of the Academy Courses here.
Want to learn more about what other benefits you receive as an Academy Member? Click here to learn more.
Some of the resources we'll explore throughout this course include:
- Stretching Trees [Lesson]
- Making Math Moments That Matter Podcast Episode 35 with John Hattie
- Click Battle [DESMOS LESSON]
- Turbo Texting [LESSON]
- Raj Shah: Making Math Irresistible Let’s Explore How Math is Magical and Beautiful
- Standards Based Grading Gamified with Badges
- We Like Those Stinkin Badges
- Live Q & A Chat with Rebecca Thompson
- Freshgrade Classic