Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Which Make Math Moments Problem Based Task or Unit do you plan to use?

• Which Make Math Moments Problem Based Task or Unit do you plan to use?

Posted by Kyle Pearce on April 6, 2020 at 10:16 am

During this unique time where we are all forced to participate in “emergency remote learning” with our students, it can be difficult to try and brainstorm how we might Make Math Moments That Matter for all of our students.

Now that the Curiosity Task Tool has been designed so students can access the tasks (without having access to the teacher guide tab), what better time to give them a great experience from a distance.

Share which Make Math Moments Problem Based Lesson or Unit you plan to use over the next week as we continue to engage in emergency remote learning?

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 11 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Angela Clubb

April 10, 2020 at 9:47 am

I’m going to try the donut question with my 3/4 class. I thought about send them each part (spark in Tuesday) with the reveal planned for Friday. I’m going to include a page for them to record their math thinking each day.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 10, 2020 at 12:58 pm

I love this idea. Start small!
      Let us know how it went!

• Robyn Monger

April 10, 2020 at 11:07 am

Before we left for this “crazy time” I was going to be formally observed by my administration and I had already had the pentomino puzzle activity on desmos activity queued up and ready to go.

Next week we are finishing circles and I am going to use the circumference and height 3 act ( I have never done a 3 act before so am excited) and then the following week, we are starting equations, so I am going to remotely try to figure out how to make the pentomino puzzle activity work!

I know you said to take it easy, but my math team doesn’t necessarily agree. We are slowing down, but still have so much to cover!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 10, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Glad to hear you’ll be trying some of the tasks!

We understand the pressure we all feel to “cover”, but let’s ensure what math we DO engage in is at depth rather than just skimming the surface.

Let us know how it goes!

• Jennifer Beckingham

May 19, 2020 at 12:30 pm

I have only a few students participating in remote learning online. I think the three-act math tasks would be great to use with them. The Donut Delight activity looks like something that would spark their interest.

• Regina Dill

July 21, 2020 at 8:28 pm

I just spoke with the other middle school math teacher at my school today about what I am thinking of as a plan…I think we are going to plan for remote learning even though we are going to see 20% of our students each day. We will each have a 7th and 8th grade class and we will eventually get some 6th graders…I guess…we are an alternative school so we will probably get kids eventually…We both agreed that we would focus on proportional reasoning for the beginning of the year using high quality tasks from M^4 and other places you have suggested and we will have our grade specific goals set and make sure our notice and wonder, etc. gets us to where we need to go. Now that we can give grades and we know what we are doing a little better I am hoping more of our reluctant learners will join us.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 22, 2020 at 8:10 am

That sounds like a solid plan. I’m wondering what will you dedicate to doing during the 80% online time and what will you dedicate the 20% face to face time to?

• Karen Bloom

July 25, 2020 at 7:02 pm

I used the donut problem with my classes during the last week of crisis teaching in May. They enjoyed it.

In August when we start again, I will spend the first few weeks building relationships through the Week of Inspirational Math activities from youcubed.org.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 31, 2020 at 7:26 am

Fantastic to hear! Those are some great resources to dive into!

Also, check out some of the pretty friendly units such as the Hot Chocolate unit!

• Chris Laurie

October 3, 2020 at 1:06 pm

I used the Hot Chocolate as my first task. I dug deep into the back of our school supplies and found 1/2 lined exercise notebooks. Normally, these are popular in primary grades but I love the blank top for students to sketch and share their thinking visually.

https://www.amazon.ca/EXERCISE-BOOK-9-1-8X7-1-RULED-PLAIN/dp/B07CZSPG2N/ref=asc_df_B07CZSPG2N/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459811781205&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15651740080882571290&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001439&hvtargid=pla-945941907101&psc=1

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Chris Laurie.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 3, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Love it! How’d it go?
      It’s such a low floor task but gets pretty high ceiling if asking students to determine how many glasses for 55 scoops if they are having to prove their thinking.