Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler What if the jump to academic pathways is too great to make in one semester?

• What if the jump to academic pathways is too great to make in one semester?

Posted by Sara Austin on December 17, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Our school has many students who come from elementary school but are not able to jump into academic pathways in Grade 9 math. We are trying to find solutions that make sense and allow students to get credit for the work they are doing trying to close gaps. What are your schools doing?

We are trying the following solution:

We have created an Interdisciplinary Studies course (IDC3O1) that combines working on closing gaps in math (referring to MAT2L1 and MFM2P1 expectations) with building learning skills (referring to GLS4O1 expectations). Students research and explore to find useful tools such as online interactive tools, various lesson tools such as Leaps and Bounds, and EduGains Gap Closing, etc, to learn both the math skills they are missing. They also explore Growth Mindset and their best ways of learning.

I’d love to hear what other schools are doing to solve this problem. I know of one school that has created a “bridging” course MAT1L2, which can work if the students stay in that school, and everyone knows what it means. I am at a Section 23 (Care Treatment Custody and Corrections) school, and we are reluctant to move students into the Locally developed stream. Our students are already sometimes stigmatized when they return to mainstream schools by being in care, treatment and custody programs. The concern is that they might never get the opportunity to move out of the Locally developed stream. 

What ideas are out there to solve the gap problem?

Sara Austin replied 2 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.