Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler What do you wish you knew as a first year teacher?

• What do you wish you knew as a first year teacher?

Posted by Austin Shulman on March 29, 2020 at 11:07 pm

Hey y’all. First year teacher here and would like if you could share some advice that could help me in these challenging times. Also, what’s the biggest change you made in your teaching from year 1 to year 2.

Amy Kopcznski replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Susan Amoroso

March 30, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Hi Austin,

Welcome to the teaching profession. This will be the hardest job you’ll ever love! This is my 11th year teaching – I taught high school for 7 years, this is my 4th year teaching 7th and 8th grade math. As a beginning teacher, I wish I knew how important it was to build relationships with students. Before students can learn from you, they need to know that you care about them — not just as students, but as individuals.

Best of luck to you!

• Amy Kopcznski

April 1, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Welcome to the world of education! I am in my 17th year of teaching and I think the one thing I wish I would’ve done in my first few years of teaching is to keep a journal. Log all of those things that you wish someone would’ve told you, that you wish you would have done differently, and congratulate yourself when things are successful. It would’ve helped me look back and see how much I grew in those first few years and also would’ve allowed me to help other teachers in their first few years of teaching. I hope you are finding your way as a first year teacher, especially with the new experiences being thrown at everyone now.