Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Tried & True – HS tasks

• Tried & True – HS tasks

Posted by Andie Snyder on May 22, 2019 at 4:52 pm

I would love to get some favorite tasks to use at the very beginning of the year . . . There are so many to choose from! I think those first few experiences can make or break the culture for the rest of the year, and I don’t want to screw it up!

Randal T Nelson replied 2 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 25, 2019 at 7:40 pm

Love that you’re already thinking ahead. Amazing!

For me, the beginning of the year is all about building the non-threatening classroom environment. Most 3 act math tasks can help you achieve this. I know @JonOrr enjoys R2D2 Post-It Notes, while I typically shuffle my tasks at the beginning of the year as I find that as long as the curiosity is sparked, I can achieve my goal of building my math community.

I’m excited to hear about everyone else’s favourite tasks for the start of the year!

• George Garza

May 27, 2019 at 1:00 am

There’s also Jo Boalars week of inspirational math which is designed to help create that growth mindset and curiosity.  She’s got them set up with lesson plans and supporting videos.  It’s also worth checking out I think.

• Randal T Nelson

June 19, 2020 at 11:04 am

I agree with George Garza, and I used Boaler’s WIM tasks this past year. Kids were very engaged, and it did set a good precedent for the class as far as working together goes. You might try out the activities first — I found that I liked the activities, but I wanted to change up the “worksheets” a bit, and put them into my own template.