Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Posted by Laura Kaplan on June 23, 2019 at 8:45 pm

In the past, I’ve included number talks, WODB, etc on a hit-or-miss basis. Whenever it felt like I could afford the 5-10 minutes (not often). I’d like to commit to doing one of these 3 days a week. My concern is the time it will take away from the class content. I’m at a new school this fall, and I’ve been given a specific schedule of what to teach on what day. Ugh. I don’t want to get in trouble for not “covering” the intended content because I spent 10 minutes on an amazing math talk that will certainly pay off in spades in the days and weeks to come.

Laura Kaplan replied 3 years, 5 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Shawn Hershey

June 25, 2019 at 6:06 am

How much time do you have to teach math?  I have 40 minutes and I work these in 2 days a week at least.  I must keep it to 5 to 8 minutes so you cannot let it drag.  I have gone over that allotment though, just not very often.  If you believe it will pay off is spades, how can you not work it in?  I have found that there are certain concepts that do not take as much time in the curriculum that I have to follow that you could put these ideas in at. Would you agree?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    June 25, 2019 at 3:14 pm

I wonder if you might consider using number / math talks with more intentionality? For example, picking an http://www.estimation180.com task that you can use as your warm-up to the content you are teaching for that day? 
    If you’ve ever heard of Cathy Fosnot’s Context For Learning Mathematics (CFLM) units, she also has “minilessons’ that are strategically designed to help push the thinking forward connected to that specific unit you’re working in. 

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Kyle Pearce.
  • Laura Kaplan

June 26, 2019 at 12:20 am

The classes are 44 minutes, 5 days a week. High school. I’ll be spending the next few weeks diving deeply into each of the courses I’m teaching and seeing how it all pans out. Hopefully I can find a way to get those 5-10 minutes into a few days a week on a very intentional schedule.

• Carla Novreske

June 28, 2019 at 11:12 pm

I was at a conference a little bit ago. The presenter spoke about warmups using a track runner analogy. He talked about their position before a race. Ready…..just kind of standing around, stretching and whatever, but then at “set” the runner lifts his backside and his eyes are looking where? His eyes are looking directly at where his next step will be. The visual of this really made me think deeper about an intentional warmup. I intend to use these things every day and not break the cycle, because it’s just that important to me. 45 minute classes, maybe I can’t get 10 minutes for a warmup on a daily basis, but I can shoot for 5 at a min.

• Robin Dubiel

July 1, 2019 at 2:54 pm

I think they’re worth it. I taught Gr. 7 this past year, and we did 5 – 10 minute number talks at the beginning of class, especially during our learning around numeracy outcomes, but at least three times a week.  It was worth it. I used Humphreys and Parker’s (2015) book Making Number Talks Matter as a guide.  They even address “Arithmetic in High School?” p. 36.  I think you’d find this book really helpful. 🙂

• Laura Kaplan

July 2, 2019 at 1:18 am

Robin, thank you. I actually own that book but haven’t yet read it. On my list for this summer, maybe I’ll bump it up to next to make sure I get to it!