Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Ask For Feedback The 5 Practices and 3-Act Tasks

• The 5 Practices and 3-Act Tasks

Posted by Nicholas Rhodes on June 3, 2020 at 7:00 am

I am struggling with aligning the 5-Practices with a 3-act task. Here is an example of a struggle that I face every time I run a task.

I ran the “Shot Put” extension task. I sequenced and selected student responses for students to share out. Not one student used a strategy of writing an equation to figure out the length of a red stick. Here is what I did:

I am a obsessed with Desmos activities, so I would select and run a Desmos activity that would get us to the learning goal by having students complete the “Double Clothesline” activity Here is the link to the activity: https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/57c853ff512b84a00645bb57

After we completed the Desmos activity, I would then revisit the Shotput extension task and connect what we learned from the Desmos activity to the learning goal that I wanted students to obtain from the Shot Put task.

What are your thoughts on this strategy of consolidating and connecting? Would you have shared out the learning goal prior to running the Desmos activity? Do you think running the Desmos activity was not time well spent?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

Jon replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    June 5, 2020 at 9:30 am

@nicholasrhodes I think it’s completely fine that no students solved it with the intended learning goal. Think of how powerful this moment is for you now that you have student solutions to work with. Now you can tie their solutions to a solution (solving equations) that is streamlined, repeatable, efficient. We get to discuss now why the process of solving equations is useful. It also allows you to discuss mathematical norms. If we all use this technique when solving problems like this then communication of ideas is easier.

So no, I wouldn’t tell them the learning goal until after your consolidate and introduce the solving equations.

Your Desmos activity is a great way to introduce solving equations too!