fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Strategy #4: Be The Guide, Not The Hero – Discussion

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    December 7, 2019 at 6:45 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Ronda Brown

April 1, 2020 at 10:54 am

I am definitely guilty of coming in and saving the day. It is hard to watch students struggle because this way of thinking is very different than what they are used to. I am already viewed as a “tough” teacher. It is hard for me to find a balance I think.

• Noemi Lopez

April 7, 2020 at 1:56 pm

1. That i’m doing some things right – concrete/pictorial/abstract and not being the hero. I definitely need to work on more curiosity.

• Sylvia Taussig

April 13, 2020 at 11:31 am

I like the curiosity path and would like to work on including that more in my lessons.

• Sandra Manning

April 14, 2020 at 5:53 pm

I don’t do enough visual activities in my high school math class. I’ve gotten some great ideas to visually express certain concepts like prime vs composite numbers or x^0 = 1.

• Louise Tessier

April 15, 2020 at 2:28 pm

I feel like I do a good job with providing low floor, high ceiling tasks. I’m able to capture studnet’s attention and provide tasks that are accessible to all students. However, I need to do a better job of being more like Prince and being the guide. I do not provide enough concrete manipulatives for my 6th graders. I also will often try to push students past the productive sturggle quickly becuase it makes ME uncomforatable to see them struggle. This was such an important reminder to push through the discomfort – just guide them. And be sure to provide those tangible manipulatives.

• Amy Kopcznski

April 20, 2020 at 3:59 pm

I love the comparison of the hero’s journey! That is such a brilliant argument for why we should allow students to learn within our classrooms and not rob them of the struggle that naturally comes with the learning process.

What is the the most used tool in your tool box when it comes to resisting the urge to “rescue” a student?

• Lisa Hudson

April 30, 2020 at 12:46 am

How timely to be exposed to the learning path that our students should be going through with the crisis creating productive struggle. I was blown away by the realization that I am currently on the same path that I want my students to be on in my classroom. The crisis that I feel as I attempt to use technology to provide instruction is providing me with plenty of bumps and bruises along my current path. I am hoping that I reach the climax soon but I do want to continue my learning just as I want my students to do the same!

• Laura Johns

April 30, 2020 at 11:20 am

I realized that one of the things I always struggle with is transitions students fronm the model of limited transition to the “hero’s journey”. I always have students who resist this mightly and become angry when I won’t just give the answer or the formula. Thanks to this video, I have some better words to use with parents.

• Maria Carmela Sanchez

June 16, 2020 at 11:35 am

My biggest take away is to focus on the curiosity path of the students and to use tools for representation. This session on the 4 strategies to help students start math problems is awesome. It is so informative.

Thank you KYle and JOn.

• Warren Biegler

November 24, 2020 at 6:46 pm

Good call on the Hero’s Journey. I’ve used that in English for years, but it makes good sense applying to math!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 25, 2020 at 6:40 am

It has helped me to better understand how similar learning math is to other subject areas, too!

• Valerie Silver

February 15, 2021 at 10:06 am

Definitely have to change student and parent expectations of what it means to teach. They think the teacher’s job is to explain and if you don’t…complaints. But then, the comment by (I think) you or Dan Meyer about Bill Gates throwing gold bricks at Sal Khan means that can be outsourced and the entire profession needs to change…along with public expectations and willingness to invest. But this is perhaps way beyond the scope and beyond my pay grade. 😂

• Andy Neels

February 17, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Excellent series here! I’m definitely still working on trying not to jump in too quick when I see one of the kiddos struggling. It’s always a struggle finding that balance of letting them struggle but catching it before it turns unproductive and they give up. Thanks again Jon and Kyle.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      February 18, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Great insights @ajneels knowing that we need to allow the struggle is half the battle. Would love to hear more about the right balance you find! I’m sure it will be different for each class and each student.

• Debra Queen

June 13, 2021 at 8:27 pm

I am in the role of the hero, and in doing so I the guidance is not happening when it should, by allowing the students to be the hero, and as I am in my role as a guide, I am then able to teach through tasks. I can see that I need to include time for the process to work in my lesson plan.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 14, 2021 at 7:00 am

Great take away! The amount of assessment opportunities you’ll open up by making this shift is unbelievable. Keep up the great work!

• Ella Platt

July 19, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Be more Prince. I like this reminder that symbols take time to work and be meaningful. It took me a few times listening to really get the reference (put in the work prior to make the symbol mean something). Concrete and visual first and most. Use manipulatives and keep them out!

• Virginia Lee

August 6, 2021 at 5:15 pm

Takeaway: Meet kids where they are. First, find out where they are. My job to figure out what questions to ask to weave together their ideas with the learning objective.

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now