Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections How To Start The School Year Off Right Starting with Curiosity & Wonder – Discussion

Tagged: 

• Amy Rensko

September 9, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Loved that task. Inspired me to look for a task to use in the first days with my 6th graders next week.

I definitely want to revisit the frog jumping task when my students start their ratio and proportion unit. 6th grade is the first time they will work with ratios, so wouldn’t want to begin the year with this.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 10, 2020 at 6:34 am

Have you considered the Hot Chocolate unit? A nice low floor, but high ceiling task with lots of number sense opportunities!

Hot Chocolate

• Erin Wahler-Cleveland

September 10, 2020 at 11:25 am

I loved seeing the frog task!

One question I have is how you wrap up the lesson after this reveal, since the predictions based on 2/7 successes from the Act 1 video will likely not match the outcome of the Act 3 reveal video. How do you facilitate discussion of this, and how long do you spend on it? Jon touches on this, but I do wonder how confusing this is to struggling students if it’s not given significant time to break down.

• Taryn McMillen

July 20, 2021 at 2:34 pm

Notice and wonder is such a great way to start off a lesson. I love the way you take us through from that initial wonder to estimation, and making estimates more and more precise. I wish I could see you film what this would look like in a classroom with actual students rather than teachers.

• Traci Lynott

August 12, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I am excited to start looking at the tasks and choosing the ones that will work for my classroom.

Implementing tasks more consistently is a goal of mine this year.

• Betsy Murphy

August 27, 2021 at 2:06 pm

I really like the frog task, great video and such wonderful discussions can come from this… enjoying watching all of this as I prepare for my first week with students next week!