Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Make Math Moments From A Distance Spark Curiosity Through The Shot Put Task – Discussion

• DAVID DIEHL

March 26, 2021 at 3:48 pm

One big takeaway from this video is the collection of data on the braining camp – reviewing concepts of average. There is a great activity I found somoene created on Desmos: https://teacher.desmos.com/activitybuilder/custom/5f20f2314047f76b8ff2f25e. You can change the question and it makes a box and whisker plot. I lost a lot of time in COVID remote learning and this was a great way to spiral averages and number sense with box and whisker plots a little and it reminded me of that and taking time to do that often can help number sense and average sense.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 27, 2021 at 6:52 am

Solid find here. Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle Grebe

April 17, 2021 at 7:31 pm

I’m appreciating the Brainingcamp app and benefitted from following along with you in this video and trying things. It’s a great app. Thanks for introducing me to it. 🙂

• Lori Plate

July 18, 2021 at 4:33 pm

I really liked the visual number line to show the estimates from the class, along with being able to put the student’s name by their answers.

Do you know if there are other online interactive number lines, preferably free, that places the number above the line like BrainingCamp.com does?

• Vanessa Weske

August 18, 2021 at 4:33 pm

A new take-away is how to use this activity over Zoom. Like how they can pop “notice & wonder” into the chat.

• Denny Nelson

August 20, 2021 at 3:17 pm

My current wonder is what do I do with students that always want to wait to hear / see what others notice and wonder before they commit to something. I have been doing notice and wonders but I think I can try to increase my participation and allow for a bigger variety of responses and celebrate the variety. I don’t want that “one right answer that everyone is waiting for one of those few students to say or for the teacher to validate.”

I remember one of my “good at math students” last year. When doing one of these notice and wonders I didn’t immediately say, “That’s right!” so he changed his answer about four times trying to figure out what the right answer was. He and likely the rest of the class wasn’t’ getting the idea of a notice and wonder. Part of it is me not establishing what I’m looking for and expecting from all students so it wasn’t just an issue with that particular student.

• azuka ojini

August 22, 2021 at 9:41 pm

The challenge now is to find ways to spark that curiosity. For example, how would you spark curiosity of absolute value equation.

• Rachael Young

January 22, 2022 at 2:11 am

I hadn’t heard of Brainingcamp before – have had a brief play around and looking forward to having a bit more time to play around with it. I have often wondered how you guys make your visuals – very effective and clear – so if Brainingcamp is one of the tools you use, hoping to be able to develop a few skills here. I have used a few things on Desmos, but probably have only scratched the surface of what it can do!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 22, 2022 at 7:17 am

Bringingcamp is super helpful and there are some coupon codes in the Toolkit Area (https://learn.makemathmoments.com/tool-kit/), if you want to give it a shot! A free tool is Polypad, which we are now using a lot as well.
      Our visuals can be with manipulatives like those mentioned here, but much of our animations are done in Apple Keynote which we LOVE 🙂

Tool Kit

• Dawn Oliver

April 15, 2022 at 10:13 pm

My new take away from this video is to make the environment online less threatening. I have had students who will only text in meetings. They will not show their face. So I have had to adapt my communication and ways to teach through the chat and showing my screen. I like the idea of having a live class if enough kids show up. This gives me some hope that I can perhaps start small and do a Notice and Wonder to engage students, and hopefully the numbers of people showing up to the meet will increase. I also want to implement the Braining Camp Manipulative’s more.

• Lizann “Lizzie” Herrera

April 26, 2022 at 2:24 pm

Such a cool and useful website – Mathigon – I’m checking the privacy policy to see if we can use it in our district. Thanks for sharing!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 27, 2022 at 8:33 am

Definitely a great and ever growing tool!