Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Sowing Seeds [Day 3]

Posted by Kyle Pearce on May 6, 2021 at 2:31 pm

How do you plan to use this task?

After reviewing the Teacher Guide, do you still have any wonders or worries?

Once you’ve used the task, be sure to share what modifications you made either before or during the task and what you might do differently next time.

Kyle Pearce replied 4 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Maria Clor

October 16, 2021 at 11:27 am

Other than basic division facts 1-10, would you preteach any long division strategies before doing this task?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  Maria Clor.
    • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 18, 2021 at 6:37 am

We avoid explicitly preteaching strategies and rather use these tasks to help assess where students are in order to nudge them along during the consolidation. We aren’t looking for all students to work through these lessons without a struggle… this is their opportunity to think and apply their prior knowledge and intuition. When we preteach, students often stop thinking and even give up if they don’t feel that strategy pretaught is in their reach.

• Maria Clor

October 18, 2021 at 8:01 am

That is what I thought- thank you! Sometimes it is just hard to know if they’ll need any prerequisite skills to complete tasks. I teach 3rd & 4th grade.

• Jessica Curtis

May 17, 2022 at 9:13 pm

My team and I have been loving this exploration series. Our students are so engaged and it’s amazing to see what they figure out without explicit teaching. Just wanted to point out that the dividend in the prompt image doesn’t match the story problem prompt. Thank you!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      May 26, 2022 at 8:26 pm

@jessica-curtis thanks for the heads up here. Are you referring to the fact that the image shows 88 peas outside of the pot?
      If so, this is because in the video, we showed 8 peas being put into the pot.
      88 + 8 = 96 peas total.
      I wonder if the image is more confusing than helpful though. Please let us know your thoughts here.