Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself Snowy greetings from Calgary

• Snowy greetings from Calgary

Posted by Erin Piper on December 11, 2020 at 2:41 pm

Hi! I’m currently teaching grades 4-7 math/science in my school’s online program. I have taught all of these grades in person so while the content is not new, the methods are. I’m looking for ways to engage my students in critical thinking and curiosity about math in an online platform. Engagement is also huge. My 4/5s love everything I throw at them and tackle it enthusiasticallyy, but the 6/7s are harder to get ‘jazzed’ about math.

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    December 12, 2020 at 7:07 am

Welcome to the community, Erin! One awesome advantage you have is being familiar with your math content, however as you mentioned, it can still take time, effort and reflection to make shifts to more of a problem based lesson.
    It sounds like engagement – in particular for your older group – is an area you’d like to work on. Have you eyed up any courses to dig into? Maybe the Transforming your Textbook Into a Curiosity Machine might be a good place to start?