Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections How To Start The School Year Off Right Setting the Conditions For Learning – Discussion

• Bailey Mortensen

May 25, 2021 at 10:44 am

Jumping right in is probably the best way to help them see how class is going to be (not explaining how class is going to be). I like the idea of explaining the rules as they come up.

• Jon

Administrator
      May 26, 2021 at 6:10 am

@baileymortensen we definitely agree! Address only the rules that need to be addressed.

• Taryn McMillen

July 20, 2021 at 2:14 pm

Over the past several years I have started focusing on building a positive class culture during the first week(s) of school. I like to have students help me develop class norms and make the class their own. I love the idea of starting with the game of nims to get the mathematical thinking rolling at the beginning as well.

• Betsy Murphy

August 27, 2021 at 1:44 pm

I’m excited to start the year with tasks and incorporate them throughout the year, not a one and done concept. I really appreciate all the information, guidance, suggestions… more excited about my last full year of teaching than any other year :), retirement is close but always learning and improving is so important!

• Daniel Laguerre

June 28, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I may try to play this game of nim. The fact that we have a 4 left.