Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself Refreshing my Algebra Knowledge – any bright ideas?

• Refreshing my Algebra Knowledge – any bright ideas?

Posted by Kelly Hayden on May 20, 2020 at 8:40 pm

Hi Everyone! I am in my first year of teaching 7th grade math and 7th grade pre-algebra. Next year, I will be looping up with my students so I will be teaching 8th grade math and algebra. My biggest challenge is digesting the material before I teach it. I also teach science — so my prep time is busy! I was successfully using Open Up Math Resources before we transitioned to remote learning — and I was really liking this resource.

I am interested to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to best brush up on Algebra before I teach this subject next year. I know there’s Kahn Academy and I could potentially just work through the Algebra book — but I guess I wanted to hear from others if they’ve found successful ways of refreshing their math content if they feel a bit rusty.

I love listening to the math moments that matter podcast, and I’m excited to check out this cool resource hub. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas you may have.

Best,
    Kelly

Jon replied 2 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    May 22, 2020 at 8:42 am

@kelly-hayden Welcome! Listening to the podcast is a great way to keep up with strategies and thinking! We’re glad you’re enjoying.

I’d recommend reading Nix the Tricks to your task list to help with algebra: https://nixthetricks.com/ It’s a great resource to help understand math at the same time as teaching it.