fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Reason #1: Starting Without Context

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    July 10, 2021 at 7:36 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Robin Bergen

July 17, 2021 at 11:25 am

I love the idea of not giving to much information to students and getting them to notice and wonder so they can decide on a solution pathway instead of being told or outright asking for the way to solve a problem. I find many of my students give up on the logic problems that I give in class. I also find that after a while they do begin to dive into their tool bags to see if they can use something from their past experiences to help them solve the problem in front of them. My wondering is how do you do this for concepts that they have never seen before? For example, part of our curriculum has to do with teaching the pythagorean theorem. Without learning this, how do you just throw a problem at them that would normally use the pythagorean theorem to solve it? I don’t want to be the “sage on the stage” but when is the right time to give a problem to kids that you know requires more mathematical understanding then they currently have?

• Kristin Snell

September 19, 2021 at 7:40 pm

I like the idea of being able to let the students ‘do’ all the steps you mentioned. If we as teachers list them out.. then they are not ‘doing’ the thinking about the topic, but instead, they are just waiting for you or that ‘one student who always answers’ to do so. I wonder how long will it take for all my students to get here? Should I be expecting a few months before I can get the majority of the students involved?

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now