Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Progress Log grade 8 and Algebra

• Progress Log grade 8 and Algebra

Posted by Betty Napoli on July 8, 2019 at 7:55 pm

GOALS:

1) Mathematical mindset -Find ways to eliminate the scare or hatred of coming to math class

2) Create Thinkers – Encourage kids to take risks, guess, make mistakes, and learn from these mistakes by collaborating.

3) Build a solid spiraling framework of lessons/activities/resources attached to the Big Ideas of the 8th grade curriculum that will engage independent and group work.

4) Establish solid routines that will promote confidence, discussion, collaboration, and self-reflection. 

<br>

Wow I feel overwhelmed by all of this and look forward to getting started…..

Betty Napoli replied 3 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Brian Arnot

July 9, 2019 at 3:34 pm

I also teach 8th grade math and Algebra. My main reason for signing up for this academy was to find ways to address the lack of engagement from some of my 8th grade students that have not been successful in math in the past. I like the idea of spiraling but am trying to figure out how to do it without overwhelming them in content. I want them to notice and wonder and dive deeper into the math. I have been using 3 Act Math problems for a couple of years but only a few times each year. I also want to explore Desmos more as I think they have engaging activities that will engage my students.

<br>

Good luck on your journey and let me know if you would like to bounce ideas off of me.

• Robin Dubiel

July 9, 2019 at 4:45 pm

Hi!  I have to share a resource that made a world of difference for the learners in my classroom, including me (I taught Gr. 7 math).  Check out the Week of Inspirational Math (WIM) lessons at http://www.youcubed.org.&nbsp; They are a wide variety of options to choose from, but here’s a link to the ones I prefer: https://www.youcubed.org/weeks/week-2-grades-6-8/ .  They are all about: brain growth, visualizing math, explaining that mistakes are powerful, believing in yourself in order to be successful, and thinking over speed.  Within in this important learning is all kinds of math content.  Awesome!  Let me know what you think.

• Betty Napoli

July 15, 2019 at 7:50 am

Hello,

I used youcubed to start the first week of school last year. This is a great resource that I used a bit of but plan to really spend more time researching. I am looking for other ways to continue the conversation with students throughout the year (instead of only the first few weeks) and create a richer and regular conversation. I realize now I only touched the surface and would appreciate any other sources/videos/ideas that you have come across. I feel rushed to have the conversations with students and still teach content! There is just not enough time in my 55 minute classes!!

• Kathy Felt

July 13, 2019 at 5:13 pm

I also teach 8th grade and Algebra 1. I use the Week of Inspirational math activities the first week of the year to get students used to working together in groups–the right way. It also shows them that this will not be a “sit and get” class and that they will be thinking–but it will be worth it because they will enjoy learning by participating.

• Betty Napoli

July 15, 2019 at 7:56 am

Week of Inspirational math is a great resource! I am looking for other ways to continue the conversation with students throughout the year and would appreciate any other sources/videos/ideas that you have come across. My hope is to teach 2 days of stations this year (which makes me a bit nervous between content coverage requirements and having students more accountable/on task!) and incorporate it into one of them or including reflection journal topics.

Thanks!