Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler PODCAST COURSE, DISCUSSION, and CERTIFICATE

• PODCAST COURSE, DISCUSSION, and CERTIFICATE

Posted by Jon on January 12, 2020 at 7:27 am

We’re proud to announce that we have a new course based on our podcast MAKING MATH MOMENTS THAT MATTER in the GROWTH LAB area in the Academy!  

At the time you’re reading this the first 30 episodes have been sectioned off into Modules and Lessons in our course format

Why are we including podcast episodes in a course here in the academy?

We realize that you’ve most likely listened to a good chunk of our 58 episodes and we wanted to make sure of two things: 

1. We want to give you a place where you could share ideas, comments, and ask questions. 
    2. We want to give you CREDIT for listening. We’ll provide you with a CERTIFICATE for the hours you’ve listened to the podcast! 

Let’s kick things off: 

Below in a comment share:

• One episode of the podcast and why or how that episode has helped you in your role. 
    Mary Manske replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • MaDonna Arnold

January 12, 2020 at 7:42 pm

I have listened to all 58 episodes of your podcast since discovering it this last Spring.  I learn something every episode.  One of the most impactful has been Episode 21 “The Thinking Classroom:An Interview w/ Peter Liljedahl”.  The use of vertical non-permanent surfaces to improve student engagement.  I took the research to the principals at both the schools I coach at and we ordered the wipebooks for all math classes.  I got them up last week and my 5th grade teacher immediately got her students up on them and she was thrilled at how engaged they were! (See attached pics!).  I’m working on meeting with each teacher this week to help them plan for this change and live coach them into it.  I do believe this can be a game changer!  Thank you for all the work you both do.

• Mary Manske

January 13, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I love this! I’m not sure which episode but in an early episode, you said something that really clarified notes for me. My coworker and I have been discussing what role notes play and how they should work for a long time (like, years). I do interactive notebooks and he doesn’t do any kind of actual notes. I don’t want to be telling the students too much (and my notes are almost always at the end) but I still really wondered how much to give them. Your framing of notes as the consolidation was really helpful–like, I pulled over to write it down. 

I do wish we could skip episodes in the course. I missed half an episode (6 maybe?) and now can’t mark anything else.