fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2020 MMM Virtual Summit Partnering With Parents in Elementary School Math – Discussion

• Partnering With Parents in Elementary School Math – Discussion

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    November 7, 2020 at 3:28 pm

What was your big take away from this particular session?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

• Michelle Cutler-Smith

December 4, 2020 at 10:44 am

Enjoyed the information regarding parent speak vs edu speak. Honestly had never considered that 50% of the country would be better served using simpler language. As all of us would mutually benefit…

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 6, 2020 at 8:25 pm

So glad you enjoyed the session! Was there any specific language that you plan to put into practice immediately?

• Christopher Ernst

April 7, 2021 at 4:36 pm

My biggest take-away was viewing the parents as partners. This is something that I know I believe, but find myself having trouble maintaining as the year goes on, or when parents say things like “I wasn’t good at math, so why should ____ be good at it” or telling me and their student that math is too hard. I’ve heard this several times and it chips away at this belief. I feel that part of this reason is that I mainly reach out to parents with negative news about students.

I think I need to communicate more often from the beginning of the year to establish that trust rather than come in out of nowhere a couple of weeks into a semester and communicate positive messages about the practices as they said in the video.

I’m wondering what tools I can use to help me streamline this process? I have around 160 students yearly in high school and a tool to help maintain communication could be incredibly helpful!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 8, 2021 at 6:27 am

Great reflections and thoughts. Does your district use any home / school communication tools? For example, remind 101 or Edsby? This can be helpful for little connections along the way.

One strategy is to plan to call say 2 parents a day throughout the year as a part of your routine. This is very time consuming, but I think helps to reach your goal of building trust.

• Jamie BALLARD

July 31, 2021 at 1:07 pm

I like your rule of 2 parents a day. Phone calls are nice, but also emails work well. I tend to try to do a phone call to initiate, but then a quick email is always appreciated.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        August 1, 2021 at 6:36 am

Agreed! Build a strong relationship up front and checking in can be less formal with an email or messaging service.

• Anthony Waslaske

July 23, 2021 at 7:35 pm

My biggest takeaway is the education level of parents. I communicate with parents as I would my peers, without all the jargon. I serve a culturally diverse community and it never came to mind they might not understand me because the language level is too high. Messages from the school have a translation feature, but the complex language may not translate well.

I did appreciate the idea of communicating the differences in mathematics in the way our generation learned it compared to how it is currently taught. Communicating prior to a new unit how the ideas were taught to how they are taught today communicates to me, as a parent, that my teacher supports my child’s education. If I was the parent receiving this, I would think more highly of educators and be more comfortable with public education.

I enjoyed the presentation, ideas I have heard before but not gathered together in the same space.

• Jamie BALLARD

July 31, 2021 at 1:31 pm

The nice thing about high school is many parents do not know how to do the math because it has been too long since they have seen it. However, I think the addition of the habit of mind with the communication with parents is a great idea.

I used this Jo Boaler article as inspiration last year. I think using these headings to talk to parents is a good way to help my brain. Of course, these are still in eduspeak, so I will translate, but these categories help me.

Making Sense of Problems and Persevering

Reasoning Visually, Numerically, and Abstractly

Creating Viable Arguments and Critiquing the Reasoning of Others

Thinking Interdependently and Flexibly

https://www.youcubed.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Assessent-paper-final-4.23.18.pdf

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now