Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Ontario Math Curriculum

Posted by Elisha Horbay on July 15, 2020 at 9:58 am

Now that we only have to report one mark for math, I wonder if there is value to doing more of the Number strand first and then being able to integrate it throughout the year (in addition to everything else). Thoughts?

Jon replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    July 17, 2020 at 7:00 am

@elishahorbay we’re big proponents of integrating /mixing strands into other strands. Your idea makes great sense. Have you taken our Getting Started Guide to Spiralling? Check it out. https://learn.makemathmoments.com/courses/spiralling/

Your Getting Started Guide To Spiralling

• Elisha Horbay

July 18, 2020 at 8:50 am

Yes! It took it last summer before I started planning – obviously amazing and learned so much. Last year went pretty well (until the closure), kids enjoyed learning things in smaller chunks and then seeing it come together in other areas. I did plan with the intention of getting all 5 strands in as it was needed to report on. But given that isn’t the case now – I am just thinking it would be better to get more number sense in at the start.

• Jon

Administrator
        July 23, 2020 at 8:36 am

@elishahorbay I agree. Building number sense early and often is a great idea. I mentioned the spiralling course just because I feel it helps with mindset around confidence of changing the order of “traditional course studies”.

We’re so glad you’re taking the next steps to change things to help your students.