Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Tech Talk Online Standards Based Grading

• Online Standards Based Grading

Posted by Christopher Ernst on June 18, 2021 at 1:43 pm

My school district is eliminating Google Classroom as an LMS and moving to exclusively Canvas. We use Infinite Campus as the official grade book, and we have a passback from Canvas to IC each night for assignment grades. My department is trying to move to a Standards-Based Grading System based on the Assessment for Growth course using some type of portfolio model, as well as Peter Liljedahl’s work in Building Thinking Classrooms. Has anyone done this or tried it? What methods worked/failed? What ideas could we have? Anything would be great!

Christopher Ernst replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    June 21, 2021 at 6:55 am

Hi @ErnstCD just to clarify, are you asking for help with using Canvas with SBG? or just SBG in general? What would you say is your biggest hurdle right now?

• Christopher Ernst

June 21, 2021 at 9:51 am

Hey @Jon I’m asking for help with SG on Canvas specifically! My biggest hurdle is balancing the formative feedback that I want to give students with the “point values” associated with items in Canvas. How can I set something up in Canvas that doesn’t have point values associated with their knowledge of the standard, but also captures their overall performance over a period of time, not just the most recent score, an average of their scores, or a decreasing average of their scores on that standard? (Those options are all built into Canvas Outcomes).

• Jon

Administrator
        June 23, 2021 at 9:12 am

@ErnstCD I don’t have any experience with Canvas, I use Freshgrade. In freshgrade I can set up standards and assign “point values” of my choosing or NO point values. However in freshgrade I can only “record” their most recent “score” on that standard as well. I keep a paper version that tracks their progress over time. Maybe you can weight some “activities” in canvas zero so that those could be for your formative feedback?

• Christopher Ernst

July 20, 2021 at 3:06 pm

@Jon after some experimentation with the version from the student view, I think I’m going to go with that idea of having items with a weight of 0. There’s also an option in Canvas to use a rubric for feedback and I can hide the point values or remove them from the rubric as well.

• Jennifer Hixson

July 20, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Hi @ErnstCD, I am in a similar situation in that I would like to use Fresh Grade but our district started using Canvas exclusively last year for grading, assignments, etc. I’m thinking I might try using Fresh Grade as my “home base” and then just manually enter their mastery grades from Fresh Grade on a scale from 1-4 for assignments in the Canvas gradebook. I’m interested to hear what you come up with as well.

• Christopher Ernst

July 20, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Hey @jennifer.hixson-2425 like I stated above, I think I’m going to go with rubric feedback in Canvas, but hide the point values. I’m planning on weighing the assignments as 0 and then weighing the standards in Canvas for their grade.

• Jennifer Hixson

July 20, 2021 at 6:00 pm

That sounds like a good idea, I might try the same. Thanks!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        July 21, 2021 at 7:48 am

Be sure to let us know how this progresses!

• Jennifer Hixson

July 22, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Will do, thanks Kyle!

• Jennifer Hixson

July 29, 2021 at 4:55 pm

Hi there, I wanted to let you know that I just discovered how to use the “Mastery” gradebook in Canvas. It uses the rubric system, so maybe that’s what you were already planning? I am happy to send you more information if you are interested. 🙂

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        July 30, 2021 at 7:35 am

Super cool. Curious to learn how you like it.

• Christopher Ernst

July 30, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Hey! Yeah, I’ve found that and have been playing around with it. I’ve been messing around with the calculation options for the standards (or outcomes in Canvas). What calculation type have you been using/how do you think you’re going to implement it?

I’m thinking of using the mastery grade book and tying it to a single “assignment” in Canvas and have that as the standard score. This would have a rubric attached to the assignment. The calculation method for the Mastery Gradebook would be the highest score since the score changing would be in the only “assignment” tied to the outcome. I tried messing around with the other calculation methods and I didn’t like how they calculated the scores into their mastery.

I’m going to attached multiple assignments to the outcomes that they are aligned with, but weigh them as a 0 and having only a rubric score for that assignment so students can use the formative feedback. This would also keep a track record of the student’s performance on a standard for myself and the student as well without weighing those assignments and scoring them with points to avoid the “points accumulating” on certain assignments. Using the “standard score” assignment as the only one worth points and in my grade book and factoring into the student’s mastery grade book allows me to also keep with my district’ and schools policy to only use our Canvas grade book and have Canvas pass those standard scores to Infinite Campus. This can only happen from the assignments grade book, otherwise, I would go full mastery grade book all the time.

That was a lot but this is a big thing that my whole dept is thinking about lol. I’d love to hear your thoughts/ideas and what you all think about this approach! Please poke holes if you can! @jon @jennifer.hixson-2425 @kyle @michael.wynott

• Jon

Administrator
        July 31, 2021 at 8:44 am

Your plan sounds a lot like what I’m doing in my class with freshgrade and in the course Assessment for growth https://makemathmoments.com/afg

Keep us posted on your experience with this important idea.

• Christopher Ernst

August 2, 2021 at 7:00 pm

Exactly! I took AFG and really drew from Freshgrade, but fitting it into a Canvas shell. I will let you know!