Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Northern California

Posted by Denise McLean on May 10, 2019 at 5:42 pm

I teach 7th and 8th grade math in Title 1 School in Redding. I am finishing my 25 year in middle school and I still love it.  I do get my masters in middle school math five years ago – I didn’t want anyone taking over my job! Then my principal fell out of her chair laughing that I was afraid of being moved. I am constantly looking at improving and refining my teaching. I have done two 3-act lessons.  My lesson study group actually made a video for one. That was lots of fun.

I keep very busy. I own a very small winery with my husband who also teaches. I was not displaced by the Carr Fire but have several friends that lost homes and a few of my students. It reminds me to keep life real. Balance is essential to surviving long term in education.  I am excited to try new things, inspire my students and colleagues. I welcome ideas and advice but realize that this test drives my principal and administrative team.

Kyle Pearce replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • George Garza

May 10, 2019 at 8:49 pm

Glad to hear that the Carr Fire didn’t effect you much.  It was kind of overshadowed by the Camp Fire.  I love NorCal, and would probably be there if family wasn’t in SoCal.  Glad to have you here, I’m sure your experience will be helpful here.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 11, 2019 at 6:39 am

Holy smokes, you’ve got quite the story!

25 years under your belt in Middle School Math AND a winery! Awesome stuff. I think I’m going to like you… I’m not close enough to benefit from that wine, though :).

When you say your colleagues made a video for you, do you mean they recorded one of the two 3-act math lessons you did or they actually MADE a 3 act math task video? Curious to know.

Welcome to the community!