Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Posted by Rose Friedman on August 17, 2022 at 2:32 pm

Hi! I’ve so been enjoying this course and really feel this is the right way (and the only way) math should be taught. However, as I learn more, I keep feeling like I do not have the time to teach math so thoroughly. On my end, I would much rather my students understand a few concepts thoroughly instead of knowing a lot of math concepts vaguely. But my principal and curriculum coordinator will likely not agree with me:) My question is how to blend what I’m learning here to fit with my tightly packed curriculum. Is there a way that I can teach using this method while also staying on pace with the other classes in my school?

I felt the enemy of time the most after this lesson since the idea that was suggested was teaching the area of a circle and the volume of prisms before getting to the standard of teaching the volume of a sphere. That would be adding another few weeks of teaching only to get to the 1 idea of the volume of a sphere! How is that possible?

Don’t get me wrong, I fully believe that this is the right way to teach all math, I just don’t know how to fit it all in!!

Kyle Pearce replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 19, 2022 at 7:06 am

This is a common struggle for sure. Have you checked out our recent podcast episode on creating time?

https://makemathmoments.com/episode193

Also, keep in mind that you need to look at every concept relative to your groups of students. Are students confident with area of a circle and volume of cylinders and cones (conceptually)? If so, then you could head straight into spheres. If not, my question would be how helpful is “keeping up” if we are rushing to algorithms on each topic and students aren’t actually understanding what they are doing?