Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• No Bikes Allowed

Posted by Kyle Pearce on February 15, 2020 at 9:18 am

How do you plan to use this task?

After reviewing the Teacher Guide, do you still have any wonders or worries?

Once you’ve used the task, be sure to share what modifications you made either before or during the task and what you might do differently next time.

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Shannon Coombs

January 11, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I’m having a hard time placing WHEN I should do this with a grade 9 applied math class. I feel like they should have some knowledge of linear relations, but I know the importance of NOT pre-teaching. Please advise!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 12, 2021 at 6:55 am

That is the beauty of these low floor, problem based lessons. You could try them anytime and with the information you’re giving students, they can use their prior knowledge and intuition to solve the problem without a set of rules or procedures pre-taught.
      Of course some of your planning involves thinking about your particular group of students and where they are in their journey. If they get stuck and the struggle becomes unproductive, you can ask them purposeful questions to nudge them along.
      Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

• Anthony Waslaske

September 19, 2021 at 4:27 pm

I am running this for my 8th-grade Algebra Honors students to offer some much-needed context. Context is like pouring oxygen in the room for mathematics, people just need to breathe. I’m an Academy Member and I get the lesson plan (awesome) and PowerPoint, so a little bit of studying and I am ready to go. I’m also creating a Desmos to go with it for the notice and wonder. From here, I’m going to expand the problem-based lesson for the whole week really. I have time restraints, so I cannot do a task 3 times a week.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 21, 2021 at 6:25 am

Love your analogy regarding oxygen! So true!
      Let us know how it goes and feel free to share the Desmos here if you’re willing! I’m sure others will appreciate it.