Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself New Member — Todd N from Arlington, TX — HS math and Physics

• New Member — Todd N from Arlington, TX — HS math and Physics

Posted by Randal T Nelson on June 19, 2020 at 10:11 am

Hi everyone, I came across the Make Math Moments that Matter podcasts last year when someone mentioned it on Twitter. I’d been teaching for 34 years, and listening to the 30-some podcasts (at that time) was just the type of thing that keeps everything fresh and exciting to be a teacher. I shared with my daughter’s teacher, and she listened to the podcasts while recuperating in the hospital — and she also got excited. I’ve also shared with our MS teacher of math, since I teach in a Pre-K to 12 school.

I started teaching in the ‘burbs of our nation’s capitol, but moved to TX 8 years ago. Most of my time has been spent in the private school sector (1 year in public schools). I’ve taught everything from General Math (pre-Algebra) through AP Calculus AB. I’ve taught in various versions of block schedules as well as more traditional schedules.

After listening to the first 30 podcasts in about 10 days, I chose to change my classroom to one which is more student-centered, a “thinking classroom”. I added several vertical non-permanent surfaces (VNPS) over the summer, and incorporated some of Jo Boaler’s Week of Inspirational Math tasks to begin the school year. Kids loved it. I got a text from a parent (also a HS math teacher in another school) who wrote “I don’t know what you are doing in Math class but you have my son fully engaged! He talked about the videos (sounds like from Youcubed) and some graph thing he is working on with his group. I haven’t heard my son so excited about math in along (sic) time. So I applaud you!!”

To my fellow math teachers, I APPLAUD YOU!!! By joining here, you are to be commended for your commitment to professional development that will invigorate you and engage your students.

To Kyle and Jon, thank YOU!!! What an incredible resource you guys are for the math community.

marianne aamodt replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • marianne aamodt

June 24, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Hi! I, too, have been in the Education game for awhile – 25 years. I am looking forward to learning along with you.

Marianne