Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself New Member: Michael Rubin from Northern California Bay Area

• New Member: Michael Rubin from Northern California Bay Area

Posted by Michael Rubin on June 12, 2019 at 7:42 pm

I edited my last post, and somehow it disappeared, so here goes again. Forgive the repeat if it shows up again =)

Greetings! I’m excited to become part of this community =)

My name is Michael Rubin and currently reside in the California Bay Area and work in the Jefferson Union High School District (a small district with 5 schools) in Daly City. I’ve been on special assignment for the past three years, assisting our Special Education teachers in bringing RSP math curriculum up to speed with the common core but am returning to the classroom to teach full time next school year. I’ll be teaching Course 1 for English Language Learners and Junior Level Math (course 3 or pre-calculus).

I’ve had an interesting journey in life, starting by being diagnosed with a degenerative heart disease at 14. Since then, I always knew that I wanted to do something in life that helped others—hence becoming a teacher. The disease also caused me to have stamina issues, which forced me to only be able to teach part time. As such, I took jobs where I could get them and landed at a school where 1) I got introduced to teaching English Language Learners, and 2) I met my wife!

In September, 2018, after waiting 7 years, I received a heart transplant and am scheduled to return to the classroom in August!

I’m excited about the academy and have joined the make math moments community to help me change my teaching practice in a way that best serves my students. The traditional approach worked for me, but hasn’t worked well for the majority of my students—and I believe teaching through task and relevant contexts will work for them!
    <p class=”p1″>I’m excited to get started!</p>

Michael Rubin replied 3 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.