Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself New Member- Marianne Aamodt from Saskatchewan

• New Member- Marianne Aamodt from Saskatchewan

Posted by marianne aamodt on June 24, 2020 at 8:18 pm

Hi! I am an Instructional Support teacher from a small rural school with grades Pre-kindergarten to grade 12. We have about 100 students with a fairly large First Nations population. The rest of our students have mainly farming backgrounds.

This coming fall, I will be working with gr. 1 to 6 students. The goal being to get these students, who are just below grade level, bumped up a bit. After being away from class due to the pandemic, there might a few of them! I also will be teaching a combined Grade 7 and 8 Math class. I have taught this course about 3 years ago in the traditional way. I now know better!

Even though I plan on retiring at the end of June, 2021, I really want to improve the way I teach Math. When I was assigned the Instructional Support role 2 years ago, I was introduced to Christina Tondevold’s Virtual Summit by another IS teacher, which is where I first “met” Kyle and Jon. I have been playing with number talks, Estimysteries, and now “How to Make Math Moments That Matter” ever since!

I have been encouraging other teachers (new ones basically right out of university) to dabble with number sense in a non-traditional way. I hope to encourage them more this year (they’re rather non-believers) by seeing how much better Math can be in the upcoming school year.

marianne aamodt replied 2 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.