Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself New Member from Central New York

• New Member from Central New York

Posted by Heidi Kelley on July 2, 2020 at 12:43 pm

My name is Heidi and I teach sixth grade at a small rural school. I have been teaching for over 2 decades. I currently teach math and English Language Arts. My educational background began in Biology and General Science grades 7-12 in Central New York but my first teaching position was as a third-grade classroom teacher in Burlington, North Carolina. And I loved it! It’s strange how you start your life journey in one direction and end up veering off course in this completely different direction, but it feels like the direction you’re supposed to be heading in! I ended up getting my Masters in Elementary Education and stayed in North Carolina for five years teaching just about everything in grades 3-8, science, math, reading, English, computer (I think social studies was the only subject I didn’t teach) and then ended up returning to Central New York to teach 6th-grade science. I was departmentalized for a few years teaching only science. It kind of felt like I had returned to my original game plan. But then because of smaller class sizes and fewer teachers, I began teaching math and ELA as well. And once again I found myself veering off in a different direction. I was becoming very passionate about math. In my mind, math and science go hand-in-hand. But I hadn’t really taken any classes on teaching math. So I did what most teachers do and taught math the way I had been taught. And quickly realized I needed a new game plan. I began this math journey to become a better math teacher. But I also have discovered that I want to create an environment for my students to feel comfortable with math not dread it. Students may begin in my classroom saying they aren’t math students or that they hate math or that they can’t do math but I want them to leave with a different mindset. I want them to see themselves as math-able. I want them to get as excited about solving a problem as I do. And if someday they are interviewed and asked the question, “What is a math moment you recall?” they respond with a very positive one about my class!

Jon replied 2 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    July 4, 2020 at 8:17 am

Welcome @heidi-kelley-0123 We look forward to working with you on your journey! We know you’ve come to the right place if you’re looking to change math moments!