Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself New member: Derek Reading from Tempe, AZ

• New member: Derek Reading from Tempe, AZ

Posted by Derek Reading on July 15, 2019 at 2:42 pm

Hello all! I’m so excited and grateful for Kyle and Jon for creating this community!

My name is Derek Reading, and I teach at a 6-12 charter school for the arts in Tempe, Arizona. In fact, it is the same school I went to for 11th and 12 grade (it is very surreal having some of my previous teachers now be my coworkers!). This coming year will be my second year teaching at this school, and my fourth year teaching overall. I teach 6-8 grade math at this school.

In college, I got involved with a professional development program called Arizona Mathematics Partnerships that worked with middle school math teachers all over the Phoenix area. I was a part of their research team. Their philosophy about teaching math is extremely similar to what Kyle and Jon believe in, so I feel very fortunate to have been exposed to this “way of teaching” from a very early point in my career/life.

I feel as though I can usually “talk the talk” when it comes to teaching math, but I struggle heavily with “walking the walk.” I hope I can learn some ways to help me with that through this Academy!

Jon replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jon

Administrator
    July 15, 2019 at 7:28 pm

Hi Derek, 

Welcome! We’re proud that you’ve chosen to join the academy. 

We’re here to help! We’re looking forward to learning with you.