Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Introduce Yourself New Member- 3rd Grade Teacher from Illinois

• New Member- 3rd Grade Teacher from Illinois

Posted by Sandra Lundgren on March 30, 2020 at 12:31 am

Hey, there! I’m Sandra, and I teach third grade is a western suburb of Chicago. Our school ditched text books years back and there hasn’t been much consistency ever since. After teaching fifth grade for twenty years, my transition to teaching third grade has been a challenge, so I’m always on the look out for high quality pd and lesson ideas. I took part in the last making math moments virtual summit, and was so inspired to learn more, share resources with district colleagues, and start creating more math moments that matter in the classroom.

Since then, I have continued on the path of pd, and have loved all of the resources from Kyle and Jon. Unfortunately, I do not have colleagues who are on the same journey as me, and I was so happy to see the 30 day free membership to help support teachers during the switch to home bound learning. I am so thankful to be part of this community where I will not feel like the lone wolf!

Sandra Lundgren replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    March 30, 2020 at 7:12 am

Hi @sarah-lundgren!
    So excited to have you as a part of the community. @jon and I did a webinar recently on transforming textbook problems… it can be tough when a district decides to ditch the textbook and leave educators with no resources. Glad to hear that you are taking it in stride!

• Sandra Lundgren

March 30, 2020 at 10:36 am

I took part in that webinar (the one on spiraling & many more!), and can relate to teaching with a bag over my head at times, and for the last couple of years it’s been either a barren dessert or a flood of random materials…

Our middle school & high school math teams have shared lesson plans & daily plan time together to focus on math. Although I think they would gain A LOT about engaging students w/Making Math Moments. Elementary teachers who teach all subjects have not been provided with quality pd or lesson ideas.

Love all of your pd, and I’ve been sharing with district leaders, my school colleagues, and our K-12 math leadership team which I have been part of for years. However, I think it’s like dieting, people will only start and stick with it when they are ready, even when they see the need. Wink

Thanks again for the opportunities!