Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Lisa Hudson

October 7, 2021 at 1:10 pm

I would highly recommend the Spiraling course if you are not already spiraling your curriculum. I completed the course over a year ago but due to COVID, I was not able to spiral last year so I am working on that goal for this school year! Hoping for improvements in my students’ retention.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 8, 2021 at 6:39 am

Amazing! Thanks for sharing and updating on your progress. How are things going this school year?

• Lisa Hudson

October 20, 2021 at 8:19 am

I am extremely busy and never have enough time(the life of a teacher!) but I am finally using some of your units with my remediation class. They really enjoy doing their Notice and Wonders.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        October 21, 2021 at 6:19 am

Fantastic to hear! Are you seeing any strategies and/or models emerging?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    October 8, 2021 at 6:40 am

Which course are you working on now? What is the current pebble in your shoe you’d like to address?

• David Mace

October 22, 2021 at 11:55 am

Honestly, I’m a little frustrated. I’m a third-year teacher. Got it. Room to improve. But I think I’m using three-act math, WICOR, and other strategy sets in innovative ways, and I get great feedback and performance from the students. I don’t think my administrative observers recognize the unique use and results when they come to my room. It’s been a long week, so maybe I’m being a little bitter. For example, I teach adapted math, and my students read aloud from a fiction book with math themes. We do close reading. They get CLOZE notes and close-reading. And they love three-act math! It really stretches kids with specific executive functioning and reasoning disabilities. All this helps me get them engaged parallel to the standards-based lesson. I don’t know. Maybe those activities are run-of-the-mill, but I don’t see other teachers in my building doing these types of things.

Signed,

Shamelessly Lobbying for a Pat on the Back in South-Central Kansas

• Lisa Hudson

October 23, 2021 at 4:42 pm

Hang in there, David, and keep doing what you know is best for your students. I would guess that your administrators were trained in “old-school” math in which there is more of an “I do it, we do it, you do it” mode of teaching and they feel confident that is the way to go. Hopefully,, if not from your administration, it will come from your students and their parents. you will get that pat on the back.

My administrators are highly supportive of my teaching style and trust that I know what I am doing. When I get frustrated by what other teachers in other districts have to face, I try to remember that administrators, in general, are under a great deal of pressure to show the results on a standardized test.

• David Mace

October 25, 2021 at 3:56 am

Thank you for the encouragement, Lisa. Your comments were helpful.