Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2021 MMM Virtual Summit Math Running Records: The GPS of Math Fluency Assessment – Discussion

• Math Running Records: The GPS of Math Fluency Assessment – Discussion

Posted by Jon on November 10, 2021 at 2:50 pm

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Karynn Faivre replied 11 months, 2 weeks ago 9 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Fadra Rogers

November 15, 2021 at 3:31 pm

I loved that the focus of MRR is using an evidence-based way of talking about math. I am watching the recording, so how do I access the resources Dr. Nicki shared in the chats?

• Andie Adrienne Bentley

November 19, 2021 at 4:30 pm

I am a huge fan of reading running records and think that this is a great way to detect number sense in students and see what they are doing well. Excellent!

• Sandhya Raman

November 25, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Loved the session. My big takeaway is that we should have conversations that get us to “see ” their thinking. A wonderful insight to how fluency is built over time.

• Nicole Bisnar

December 2, 2021 at 12:57 pm

I love math running records. I’ve been really fortunate this year in my new position as the math interventionist to implement using running records and Dr. Newton’s strategies.

This year I’ve been compiling different activities to help reinforce the fluency strategies, and just in the minute shared from her own stockpile I’ve gotten some new ideas. I find the students make the most connection when presented with activities that show the symbolic representations of facts, and have to match with a fact. I love the flashcards she shared with the strategy at the top of the card! Absolutely going to be making a set of those.

My question is what is the best way to get “buy-in” from the rest of the teaching staff at my school? I have pockets of teachers who are on board with the idea of moving away from those dreaded timed tests, but also have some who are clinging dearly to them.

Follow-up question: What is the best way to facilitate a class of 30+ who may be working on different strategies or completely different operations? How long per session/days per week would you recommend allowing for fluency instruction?

• Karynn Faivre

December 13, 2021 at 8:41 pm

I loved that it identifies what students know and uses it to build upon. I also thought this would be better than multiplication fluency tests that our students use.