Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Math Fact Fluency

Posted by Maureen Rowe on February 17, 2021 at 2:15 pm

I have tried many programs, and different strategies to help student to learn their basic multiplication and division facts. I do have some success stories, but many leave my room knowing it, and then lose it when they get into the higher grades. I don’t think it just needs to be memorized and I have many tricks ex. x4 is a double double. Does anyone have any strategies that have shown more success?

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jon

Administrator
    February 18, 2021 at 2:07 pm

@maureen.rowe this reading might interest/help you on this journey! https://tapintoteenminds.com/memorization-automaticity/

• Maureen Rowe

February 25, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Thanks. I have definitely moved from memorization type programs, that only worked for some and stressed others out. I am trying a fact family program, that is not timed and drill but teaches ways tricks and concepts that relate multiplication and division.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        February 26, 2021 at 6:25 am

Awesome. Which one is it?

When you say “tricks” do you mean strategies? It sounds like there is connecting and relationship building.

• Fawn Jelinek

July 27, 2021 at 5:44 am

I read the book “Math Fact Fluency” by Jennifer Bay-Williams and Gina Kling. It really changed the way I thought about fact fluency. There are great assessment tools and an abundance of easy games that you can have students play to improve their fluency. There is a companion site with the games: https://kcm.nku.edu/mathfactfluency/games.php.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 27, 2021 at 6:59 am

Awesome! Looking forward to reading that book. Jennifer Bay Williams is a part of our virtual summit this year! Woot!