Mary O’s Progress Log
1. I want to know how to teach the basics that my students are missing. Such as integer operations, fraction operations, division etc… Using the techniques you are sharing. I plan to use more manipulatives for these. Although I may need to learn how to do them with concrete materials.
2. I will work on the lessons etc.. on this site at least 3 hours a week.
3. I will try to use a 3 act task every other week in class.
4. I want to learn how to get my students to work together in their groups. The two 3-Act tasks I have tried. After the notice and wonder when students went to their groups they did not talk to each other. They were all working on the big paper I gave them trying their own things. I actually did spend the 1st two weeks of the new semester doing get to know you math games and group work I found in starting the year off right to get a sense of community going.
I teach Algebra Readiness this year. My students are recommended to me by teachers because they are struggling in class. I want my class to be different. I also need to change their negative feelings for math around. I have played the mindset videos on YouCubed. But it seems the the students with the greatest fixed mindsets thing it does not apply to them. So goal :
5. Find ways to bring in growth mindset weekly. Find better ways to encourage growth mindset in the students that refuse to start or even try anything outside of their comfort zone.