Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Maggie's Progress Log

Posted by Maggie Ewert on August 19, 2019 at 5:05 pm

<span style=”color: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>Long range goal: </span><span style=”color: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>Build a solid program that 1) balances concepts (first!) and procedures, 2) creates enthusiasm and confidence in mathematics, and 3) is flexible enough to evolve with my learning and growth, to be based on the students in the room, and to allow for pivoting the plan! </span>

Goal #1 – Find a few rich tasks to introduce in the first days/weeks of school that will act as a diagnostic and review, and establish our math community norms and routines. 

(I teach grade 7/8 but anticipate a range that corresponds to grade 3 – 10 curriculum expectations in my room this year, so I am looking for low floor – high ceiling activities anchored in conceptual understanding of multiplication and division to start.) 

Maggie Ewert replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    August 20, 2019 at 2:25 pm

Hi Maggie!

Thanks for sharing your progress log. Love it!

As for your Goal #1… have you had a chance to listen to our recent podcast episode about the First Day of school? Activities referenced are helpful for the first weeks of school really. Take a listen: https://makemathmoments.com/episode36/

• Maggie Ewert

August 21, 2019 at 8:21 am

I admit, without my daily commute during the summer, I’ve got some catching up to do on the podcasts. I downloaded the lot (and some favourites) this morning. I love episode 10 with Dr. Jo Boaler. I’ll cue up #36 as a starting point. 

I have just completed the first 4 modules in The Concept Holding Your Students Back. The floor to ceiling potential in the tasks is fantastic. No silos to be seen! I found the prompts in the last lesson to be particularly helpful, especially the one asking me to consider, “What might the learning goal be?” I am well on my way to building the first 3-week arc for this year.