Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Low Floor/High Ceiling- Enough

• Low Floor/High Ceiling- Enough

Posted by Christopher Ernst on March 25, 2021 at 10:40 am

Students come into our school and into my Algebra 1 classroom with an incredible array of skills. Some students should probably be in Geometry or an upper-level course, and several students struggle with basic fluency and have low reading skills and everything in between. This also coupled with many students in my classes being ELL students and speaking little to no English, and my school’s chronic absenteeism. Many of the lowest students skip school and fall further behind.

How can I successfully engage all these students in a class with tasks/contexts, while accounting for the ELL population and those students that miss a day or two? Further, how can I have all these students working together and learning from each other in a classroom?

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    March 26, 2021 at 7:12 am

These are great questions! What does your classroom learning structure look like now?

• Christopher Ernst

March 26, 2021 at 8:24 am

At the moment it’s pretty traditional, warm-up, homework review, notes and practice.

I’ve mixed in some investigations and 3 act math tasks with varied success, but know I want that to be a focal point next year. After those classes a lot of students enjoyed them and were engaged, but then always ask “how does this affect my grade?”