Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Lori’s Progress Log – Grade 6

• Lori’s Progress Log – Grade 6

Posted by Lori Jones on May 26, 2019 at 10:55 am

Over the summer I would like to…..

1. Create a long term spiraling plan (still deciding on where to start – bell work, curriculum, unit) which will include:

* a long range plan

* tasks and activities that are easily organized and accessible

*assessment

Margaret Buchanan replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    May 26, 2019 at 10:57 am

Hi Lori!

I love this. Summer is a great time to think about what your spiralling plan might look like/sound like.

I wonder if a place to start would be thinking about what you hope your students will walk away with at the end of grade 6? What are those big ideas that you really want kids to understand? There are some things that are “details” and other things that are “essential”. What might those be for you and your students?

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

• Lori Jones

May 26, 2019 at 11:18 am

Hi Kyle,

Yes, I like the idea of details and essentials – wondering if I can look at the curriculum expectations and see each expectation as detail or essential? What are your thoughts?

Lori

• Lori Jones

May 28, 2019 at 11:25 am

Big Ideas from Marian Small  – next I think I am going to align the grade 6 curriculum under each big idea……anyone’s thoughts?

Big Ideas – Number Sense – Grade 6

1. There are many ways to represent numbers.
    2. Numbers tell how much or how many.
    3. Number benchmarks are useful for relaxing numbers and estimating amounts.
    4. By classifying numbers, conclusions can be drawn about them.
    5. The patterns in the place value system can make it easier to interpret and operate with numbers.
    6. It is important to recognize when each operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) is appropriate to use.
    7. There are many different ways to add, subtract, multiply or divide.

Big Ideas – Geometry – Grade 6

1. Shapes of different dimensions and their properties can be described mathematically.
    2. There are always many representations of a given shape.
    3. New shapes can be created by either combining or dissecting existing shapes.
    4. Shapes can be located in space and relocated by using mathematical processes.

Big Ideas – Measurement – Grade 6

1. A measurement is a comparison of the size of one object with the size of another.
    2. The same object can be described by using different measures.
    3. The numerical value attached to a measurement is relative to the measurement unit.
    4. Units of different sizes and tolls of different types allow us to measures with different levels of precision.
    5. The use of standard measurements units simplifies communication about the size of objects.
    6. Knowledge of the size of benchmarks assists in measuring.
    7. Measurement formulas allow us to rely on measurements that are simpler to access to calculate measurements that are more complicated to access.

Big Ideas – Patterning and Algebra – Grade 6

1. A group of items form a pattern only if there is an element of repetition, or regularity, that can be described with a pattern rule.
    2. Any pattern, algebraic expression, relationship, or equation can be represented in many ways.
    3. Patterns are all around us in the everyday world.
    4. Many number, geometry, and measurement ideas are based on patterns.
    5. Arranging information in charts and tables can make patterns easier to see.
    6. Variables can be used to describe relationships.

Big Ideas – Data Management and Probability

1. Many data collection activities are based on the sorting of information into meaningful categories.
    2. To collect useful data, it is necessary to decide, in advance, what source or collection method is appropriate and how to use that source or method effectively.
    3. Graphs are powerful data displays because they quickly reveal a great deal of information.
    4. An experimental probability is based on past events and a theoretical probability is based on analyzing what could happen. An experimental probability approaches a theoretical one when enough random samples are used.
    5. Sometimes a probability can be estimated by using an appropriate model and conducting an experiment.

• Margaret Buchanan

July 2, 2019 at 10:14 pm

Hi Lori,

I too am a Math -6 teacher, and I am working this summer to restructure my math curriculum. Your listing of the Big Ideas for each strand looks very helpful as I get started. Thank you for including this.

Maggie