Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Desmond Mak

April 5, 2020 at 10:11 am

I’d like to try designing tasks with multiple connections so that students have the opportunity to see how the current chapter is related to one or more topics learnt before. This can be done in both my Form 2 and IBDP Mathematics classes.

Thanks for sharing with us the various strategies!

• Ruth Rancier

April 21, 2020 at 6:01 pm

I’m going to interleave assessments to give students a chance to earn mastery points and improve their over all math mark and look for rich tasks that can be used for teaching the current concept while making connections to previous concepts taught.

• Lea Christiansen

April 22, 2020 at 8:10 am

I love the idea of Thinkback Thursday and Fix-up Fridays. This is a doable, bite size place to start, as is Spiral Warm ups.

• Jennifer Hopkins

July 8, 2020 at 12:59 am

Me, too! Let’s try it this year.

• Jay DiMuzio

April 26, 2020 at 5:53 pm

I like the idea of finding different activities that are not from the current unit. So often, I’ll ask my kids, “How did you come up with that strategy,” and their respons would be, “Because that is what we are studying.”. Smart to have that thought, but I want the kids to be flexible in their thinking.

• Nancy Van Hall

June 5, 2020 at 3:53 am

Everyday Math has a great warm up every day that spiral. I transferred all of them into Goformative.com to make it easier to manage and it gives immediate feedback and allow them to make corrections, or I can make them wait a few minutes and release the answers to everyone at the same time. We have a delayed start every Monday and love the Monday Make-up days idea.

• Kyle Ferreira van Leer

June 26, 2020 at 12:48 pm

I feel like this year I have worked really hard to find the connections between some of the major strands as we have gone through them this year. I like the idea of chunking up the units we have into smaller bits and then using that to spiral — it’s like a cheat sheet way to create a spiraled course. I want to think about that as I go through and plan how to spiral through the year.

• Sheila Akinleye

June 26, 2020 at 6:56 pm

This lesson reveals that there are lots of different ways to begin spiraling. So many in fact that I really don’t have any reason not to get started. I’ve already tried spiraling the warm-ups with minimal success. This coming school year, I definitely plan to spiral assessments and love the idea of a “Think Back Thursday.” I would also like to lag my homework.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 26, 2020 at 8:26 pm

Love your plans for next year! You mentioned trying in the past with minimal success… what did this look like / sound like and why do you think you may have spun your wheels a bit?

• Ashley Bryant

June 28, 2020 at 5:19 pm

I’m eager to look at the assessments that are made for me, and how I might change them to spiral during assessments this year.

• Stephanie Moore

July 7, 2020 at 4:50 pm

I already use interleaved or cumulative assessments and standards based grading. I lag my assessments to give them time to process the latest material, but I want to try lagging my homework too. I already plan my worksheets, but I want to use more open-ended and reflective questions there and on the homework. I need to figure out what the strands are exactly in my course – I’m still not sure how to identify them, but I have asked another prof who is teaching a section of the same class to collaborate with me. Hopefully that will go well. She already is sold on investigative learning. I hope to at least spiral a single concept or maybe I already do that since I try hard to refer back and point out how certain topics keep coming up.

• Tracy Martel

July 7, 2020 at 4:54 pm

Prior to listening to the video, I was overwhelmed at the thought of Spiralling the Curriculum because my biggest question “Is where do I start?” As I was thinking back to my teaching practices while listening to the video, I realized that I was in fact spiraling parts of my math long range plans without even knowing it. In fact, I was combining strategy #6 , # 7 and #8 as I was working with a colleague. The strategies that I would consider to include are Think Back Thursdays, Interleave Your Assessments and Activities, as well as Lag your Homework.

• Luisa de Carteret

July 9, 2020 at 12:38 pm

This presentation makes taking on spiraling a lot easier! I have been finding it difficult to envision Algebra 1 in spirals, but I can imagine interleaving past concepts in with algebra.

I like the idea of spiraling homework and/or lagging homework. I also like the idea of interleaving one topic among all the other units to test it out the first year through. It seems though that the 3-part framework in itself promotes retention and recall because students have to problem solve without receiving the specific instruction before delving in, and essentially use whatever it is that they know.

• Regina Dill

July 9, 2020 at 3:36 pm

I like suggestion #8. Since I teach middle school math, I can easily see picking one standard (sometimes called a super standard) throughout the year. I know 7th grade is proportional reasoning and 8th grade is functions…6th grade is not quite as obvious to me right now…

• Anisha Baboota

July 12, 2020 at 5:44 pm

Thank you for the spiralling starter strategies! It is very concise, informative and seems doable; especially with the ideas called Thinkback Thursday and Fix-up Fridays. I have also heard of teachers using catchy phrases (e.g. Ketchup Friday) like this to organize and/or consolidate their students’ learning near the end of a week. I have seen it being implemented for many grade,s and not only for Math but also Literacy, and once the plan with the relevant materials/tools has been formally introduced and put into action it is really neat to watch the students actually remind others what day of the week it is. I think it is a cool and creative way to get the students fully engaged and interested in the learning that will take place (especially when it comes to mastering the skill of spiralling Math lessons).

• Steven Rohrbeck

July 30, 2020 at 2:30 am

My school uses Everyday Math (which I have some problems with, but..). It already has some spiralling built into the program. For instance, they have done away with the geometry unit and it is sprinkled into all the other units. The daily math warmup often refers back to previous learned material. They also have some cumulative assessments throughout the year

• Amy Rensko

August 11, 2020 at 1:58 pm

I really like the idea of spiralling one concept throughout the course. I think this would work particularly well with a strand that tends to be left until the end of the course or get short changed. In my 6th grade curriculum, I would like to do this with either the data unit or the geometry unit. I plan to give this some additional thought and consider how these concepts connect to the other units of study.

I already do some spiralling with with warm-up problems and homework. I will look to improving this practice as well.

• Christina

August 16, 2020 at 6:08 pm

I’m feeling encouraged to try using the same tasks in multiple units across the year. The idea of students being able to see how one activity can apply to many things we are learning is really valuable. I think it would also help students to be able to see connections for math in the real world when challenged to do so.

• Alyse Olivieri

August 24, 2020 at 5:50 pm

I like your suggestions especially about keeping the units intact but teaching the first 3 lessons of each unit and then spiraling back. Thanks!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 25, 2020 at 8:23 am

Amazing! These are all just ideas to consider… how you go about it can be different though!

Now, I tend to like to chunk an idea together for about 4 to 6 days to really get deep with it… you might consider something similar!

• Rachael Young

January 15, 2022 at 5:47 am

Some of these sound pretty doable – I’m excited to take some ideas to my team, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes! I am getting more familiar with the curriculum (Australian Curric in Maths Yr 7) and seeing where the connections are, and going back to the ‘big ideas’ rather than getting bogged down in the nitty gritty.

• Dawn Oliver

April 15, 2022 at 7:41 pm

I have noticed in some textbooks that we use in my district, that they help you spiral content for homework and for state test practice. We also do math reviews everyday that focus on some of the basic content kids need to know to graduate. Since I already know how to implement some spiraling, I am going to try to spiral 1 concept throughout all the units that can be related or use tasks with multiple connections to incorporate more concepts in one place, since I teach credit recovery.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dawn Oliver.
  • Terry Hill

May 27, 2022 at 1:16 pm

I like the idea of starting by using spiraling for the bell ringers. I think I will give that a try when school starts back.