Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 5 – 7: Practical & Impactful Ways For Student Reflection – Discussion

• Lesson 5 – 7: Practical & Impactful Ways For Student Reflection – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 9, 2019 at 7:09 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Andy Neels replied 1 year, 7 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Lisa Hudson

June 22, 2020 at 11:22 pm

I would never have thought about having the students write a reflection of their learning but I see this as a way for students to build deeper understanding and meaning. I really like the ideas that Michael presented with the structure including the sentence starters, connecting phrases, etc. I also like that he will do the first one together as a class and if he sees the need will continue as a whole class writing consolidation/reflection until they understand what he is requiring.

• Stacy Trevino

June 27, 2020 at 4:39 am

I LOVE the idea of providing students with sentence frames and “mortar” language to help support their consolidation! If a student is completely lost at the end of the lesson, those hints won’t be enough to help them “fake it” through the reflection, but if they understand the key takeaway – and are just struggling with the language piece – these hints would be more than enough to help them effectively communicate their learning.

• Andy Neels

November 18, 2020 at 5:22 pm

I’m liking this idea of providing a template for students to fill out after a math task or lesson. I think every math class may be a bit much, but certainly every 2nd lesson or twice a week or something like that would be very helpful.