Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Rachael Young

January 4, 2022 at 8:31 pm

I had a go at Charged! This was my attempt. But I don’t understand why the solution isn’t what actually happened, so I don’t think I will use this one. I just don’t understand the Maths involved well enough.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 5, 2022 at 7:17 am

Often times we model things proportionally, when in real life they are not perfectly proportional. For example, phones don’t necessarily charge at an exact constant rate, but we make that assumption. This could be why the values aren’t 100% the same.

• Patricia Scheler

March 3, 2022 at 5:07 pm
  • Kerri Brodie

March 22, 2022 at 9:41 pm

I chose the Charge It problem. I did not read to the end and made the same assumptions that students would make. I like the idea of using this to model a piecewise function as my students have typically had trouble with these. I anticipated that the students would solve this using a table and looking for the average rate of change, by estimating that it is close to 1% per minute, by making a linear graph and then by solving a proportion. It took me a while to think of the different ways that students would do it since as a math teacher, I tend to jump right to the “mathiest” way!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 28, 2022 at 6:50 am

That is common as we are much further along the developmental continuum so it can be hard to think at earlier stages. Practice will get you there!

• Tarini Arte

March 27, 2022 at 9:14 pm

Some potential moves by students with regards to the Trashketball task. I’m trying to think of other possibilities if anyone thinks of other ones that are different.

• Katrina van Lierop

March 28, 2022 at 6:46 am

I want to do the popcorn problem with the primary goal of understanding changing rates and their connection to graphical models, equations and tables of values. The future goal would be to understand the meaning of the point of intersection in a linear system.

possible student representations:

1- create tables of values

2 – use unit rates

3 – graph it(although unlikely)

4 – Additive Stategy

5 – create pattern rules then solve each

This will be a great activity to push students to make multple connections with the various representations of linear relations

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 28, 2022 at 6:51 am

Great work here!

Wondering what the additive strategy might look like/consist of?

• Katrina van Lierop

March 28, 2022 at 10:57 am

I guess I was thinking they would start with the initial value and use a rate to keep adding until they arrive at the answer.

• Jonathan Lind

April 2, 2022 at 10:42 am

Anticipating a problem that becomes much more manageable with a transition matrix.

• David McKnight

April 4, 2022 at 5:33 am

I chose the Solar Panel lesson. My students are coming into it with a background of using ratios and unit rates and really don’t have experience with linear relationships. Of course, some kids with extensive background may decide to graph this or derive a linear function. Based on my students I think that below are the strategies they’d use in order from most likely to least likely. Of course, I’m ofter surprised by my students and I would be willing to bet that at least one group would use another strategy that I haven’t thought of.

• Dawn Oliver

April 15, 2022 at 1:59 pm

Here is an Anticipation Example of an example of solving a system of equations.

• Zorica Lloyd

April 19, 2022 at 1:28 pm
    • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 20, 2022 at 6:40 am

Awesome stuff here. I love how “real” your solutions are … I believe firmly that we need to be “messier” so that students can see that we don’t always know exactly what to do before we start a problem either! Share it with pride 🙂

• Terry Hill

May 26, 2022 at 8:35 am

Hey Jon, one thing I noticed from your video is that in the first anticipation you showed an answer of 22 minutes and 45 seconds, and for the rest you showed answers of 22.75 minutes. I was wondering if that caused confusion for your students, because I know it would for mine, as most of my high school students cannot tell time on an analog clock and also don’t do very well with fractions and decimals. If it did cause confusion, how did you go about explaining to your students?

• Colegio Markham

June 27, 2022 at 3:47 pm

I noticed the same thing! and wondered the same thing!

• Jon

Administrator
      June 28, 2022 at 5:30 am

@terry-hill @colegio-markham In this case we took a minute to discuss this. It may have taken longer than a minute or two if the number of minutes was 43 minutes instead of 45, but since it was 3/4 of an hour students grasped writing 3/4 as 0.75 easily .

This brings about a good point when designing problems or when working on anticipating student solutions.

We often design problems so that we can build our number sense skills along the way. This means anticipating dedicating a portion of the lesson time to addressing or discussing these ideas.

It’s a great talking point when you come upon a group who is working on this problem. How did they handle the time conversion? Did they convert the same way? Did they convert to minutes? Did they keep fractional units? Groups will handle this differently. Plan to discuss these differences in the connect stage.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Jon Orr.
  • Renee Holmquist

June 21, 2022 at 12:21 pm

I did the Solar Panel 3 Act Math. I would anticipate proportions along with the unit rate being found. I like how the 3 ACT webpage shows other solutions so that I am more prepared as to what I might see and if I don’t get that solution I can show it as an option to broaden their thinking toolbox.

• Deanna Semyon

June 28, 2022 at 10:18 am

The active starting is process is a bit scary for me. I have seen most of my students in co taught classes in the past. They will wait for the correct work to be put up on the board. When approached 1:1 the first thing they say is, “I don’t know.” Often before I even ask a question, which may not even be about the math problem…. I am going to have to really work on building an intentional learning community that is safe and show what it looks like to productively struggle.

• Heidi Cheng

June 30, 2022 at 1:16 pm

I chose Corner to Corner. I think I have trouble seeing more than two solutions (both similar) in this task. I guess I don’t know my students well enough to see how they might solve this problem.

1. I see the students drawing an illustration labelling the measurements of the classroom. Applying the pythagorean theorem, students will find either the diagonal of the area of the width and length of the classroom. They will then substitute to find the intended diagonal.

2. Maybe some students will add all three squared lengths together and then square root to find the intended diagonal.

• Jared Sliger

July 6, 2022 at 8:37 am

I used the trashketball problem. I love this one because it is so simple. The concept is really simple at least. I know I will have students, because I did, who marvel at the consistency of the paper balls. Well done.

• Jon

Administrator
      July 9, 2022 at 7:19 am

Great anticipation here Jared. I’d love to know the distribution of students who attempt each solution.

• Laura Compean

July 11, 2022 at 4:01 pm

I chose Sowing Seeds to see how students would have 78 seeds and split into 6 different pots. Some students drew 6 circles and started putting 5 seeds per pot, found they could do it again, then added 2 more per pot finally 1 more per pot to make 13 seeds per pot. Another group started with 10 seeds per pot for 60 seeds, saw they had 18 seeds left over so they divided that into 3 seeds per pot. Another group started putting 6 seeds per pot for 36 then they doubled that for 72 and only needed 1 more seed per pot for a total of 13 seeds/pot. I showed them the area model to represent their multiplication. I really enjoyed seeing all the students work with multiplication opposed to long division with this problem.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 13, 2022 at 6:41 am

Sounds like an awesome experience that gave you an opportunity to see where students were at in their own learning journeys! Glad you enjoyed the experience.

• Christine Pomatto

July 24, 2022 at 11:35 pm
  • Heather Alden

August 1, 2022 at 3:23 pm

I chose to plan out student responses to the grade 2 “Cover the Floor” task. I feel like I probably missed some strategies so I like that the sheet has blanks for the unexpected student thinking that I am sure I will notice each day that surprises me.

*students draw the entire 12×9 and count one by one on their picture

*students repeatedly add 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 9

*students add 12 repeatedly 9 times

*students repeatedly add 10 12 times, then take away 12

*students may use some multiplication 10 x 9 and 10 x 2?

*students may model with blocks and then skip count to find the total

*students may use a number line and show jumps for each row or column

• Kami Fevery

August 15, 2022 at 2:33 pm

I decided to do Shovelling the Driveway Part 1 – With the main question being what fraction of the driveway was cleared during the 2nd shovelling session.

• Kristie D’Arcangelo

August 19, 2022 at 9:59 am

This lesson has caused a bit of conflict in my thinking as I have been doing lots of reading about not solving tasks before the students so as to not guide them in their thinking or nudge/prod them along with hints instead of asking probing questions to get them to stretch their thinking. I have done tasks in the past where I have told the students I don’t know the answer or I don’t remember from the previous year and they are initially distressed to hear this but then move forward to “show me” that they can figure out if I don’t know. I do see the benefit to having the work already done out for some of the ways students might approach a task, but I doubt that I would be able to come up with a comprehensive list as students think in so many different ways. I imagine that the place on the template for students/groups names is going to be extremely beneficial to identifying where students are in their understanding potentially based on the means by which they tackled the problem. I am looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.