fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    May 1, 2019 at 11:58 am

Your action item for this lesson is to think of a learning goal coming up in the next few days or weeks and use our learning goal progression template to not only record the learning goal and notes about that lesson, but also record future knowledge or future learning goals that are connected to this one. They might be the learning goal for the next day or even a learning goal a month or so away in your long range planning.

Share your learning goals and any comments or questions you have here:

• Trina Gratrix

February 17, 2021 at 11:54 am

The learning goal I’m working on is solving one step equations. Future learning goals will be writing a one-stop equation (and eventually more complex ones) from a situation, Solving two step, multi-step, variable on both sides, with distributive property equations, representing the equation in different ways — words, tables, graphs. There are more, but I think this is a good start.

• John Gaspari

February 20, 2021 at 11:59 am
  • Maryanna Biedermann

February 23, 2021 at 9:10 pm

I need to better understand where students are going in 8th and beyond.

• Jody Soehner

February 28, 2021 at 2:37 pm
  • Scott McNutt

March 2, 2021 at 5:04 pm

I am going to use the same learning goal that I use for Lesson 2 “Know Where Your Students Come From.” THe learning goal will be students will be able to Completely factor quadratic expressions into product form. As I stated in the previous lesson there are a lot of previous understandings that are required to support students to meet the learning goal, but factoring quadratics is laying to foundation to future learning as well. The first is finding the roots for your quadratic when solving for x. Preliminary to the Quadratic Formula students will solve for x using the factors. Next, students will use the roots to find where the parabolic graph will cross the x-axis. But if we go even further with division of polynomials, the factoring will help cancel out common factors from the dividend and divisors.

I do like the idea of creating a situation that we can keep going back to for all the future knowledge so the students will experience the progression of math are you go from one learning goals to another. I think that allows the students who are in that master stage in learn can see how what they already know connects to what they do not know.

• DAVID DIEHL

March 9, 2021 at 9:45 am

My leaarning goal coming up is solving a multistep equation. I will have these students next year in 8th grade and I want them to start thinking about how changing the coefficient and constant change the problem. For example i nthe shotput problem, changing the coefficient has a greater affect on the situation because there are multiple sticks but changing the constant has only the effect o the one part. Also, moving the constant to the front of the sitautian shows the commutative property (cycle back) and the idea of inital value (stretch forward). So next year when we are introdiucing linear functions we could go back to this task and extend our thinking from coefficient and constant to slope and y-intercept.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 10, 2021 at 6:18 am

Love how you’ve taken a problem based unit and extended the context to help you address some more specific content expectations. Nice work!

• Jaana Gray

March 21, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Following on from the multiplicative goal. My students’ future goals:

Solve word problems involving multiplication and division

Use a table or similar organiser to record methods used to solve problems

Explore the use of brackets and the order of operations to write number sentences

Perform calculations involving grouping symbols without the use of digital technologies

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Jaana Gray.
  • Michelle Grebe

April 9, 2021 at 9:23 pm

I heavily relied on the strand overview chart in the new math curriculum.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 12, 2021 at 6:24 am

Nothing wrong with that! Every time you participate in this type of thinking, you’ll learn something new about the curriculum and feel better prepared for the next time you plan to teach a unit! Nice work.

• Laura Las Heras Ruiz

April 17, 2021 at 3:17 pm

New learning goal. Find the algebraic formula of an affine or lineal function, from the information given in a proble situation.

Future knowledge. Automate y=mx+n from a graph and vice versa.

Future knowledge. Solve sistems of linear equations.

• Jeremiah Barrett

June 8, 2021 at 12:41 pm
  • Kathleen Bourne

June 15, 2021 at 3:53 pm

I’ve not taught math in 10 years, so while much seems the same, much has changed! (no textbooks, for one!)

I am carefully looking at the new curriculum to ensure that I try to cover what’s there. What I have found is that with last year’s closure (and some general mathphobia with my group) that where they were coming from is much further back than I anticipated. So, that has led to us cycling back a lot, to ensure that previous ideas are clearer before we forge too far ahead and create more anxiety. For example, place value and order of operations were not as clear in my students’ minds as I would have thought, so we’ve had to do some simpler tasks to cover those.

• Diane Fortune

June 23, 2021 at 1:13 pm

My learning goal for 5.2 was to ID place value in a 3 digit #. So, to stretch that (in my class, I call this a sneaky peek … and I shut the door so that nobody knows that these students are learning this stuff because they aren’t supposed to learn this stuff until they are in 2nd or 3rd grade!) So, my “stretch” goal could involve ID place value of a 4 digit number, or perhaps counting on or back from a number by 10s, 5s, 2, 100s.

• Gerilyn Stolberg

June 26, 2021 at 10:39 am

Third Grade- multiplication and division- In the last discussion I talked about teaching multiplication of 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10- this lessons will build into distributive property and communicative property when teaching multiplication and division of 6, 7, 8, and 9. If students understand and can explain multiplication and division of these numbers and how to use the distributive property they will be able to multiply larger numbers in the fourth grade.

• Anthony Waslaske

July 1, 2021 at 1:57 pm
    • Jon Orr

Administrator
      July 2, 2021 at 6:20 am

@anthony.waslaske you could possibly explore finding the side length of squares as an application of irrational numbers to “get around” the district sequencing. That way when you bump into the pythag theorem students have already been introduced to the main operation that pythag uses.

• Penny Johansson

July 2, 2021 at 1:24 pm

When I am teaching place value, I need to keep in mind that this is followed by addition and subtraction with re-grouping. So students need to develop an understanding of movement within place value.

• azuka ojini

July 3, 2021 at 6:24 pm

Using the learning goal progression template, proportion relationship will be my area of exploration with my students. The prior knowledge of a progressive multiplication will be exploited.

Students will then be mediated to take advantage of the pattern to drive the generation of an equation related to proportional relationship.

My wonder now would be to find a way to help student generate a graph of a proportional relationship with minimum assistance from me.

• Andrea Cadman

July 6, 2021 at 10:36 am

It is so helpful to view what others have come up with after watching the videos. Not only does it help me get new ideas, but it also helps me build and improve on what I have come up with on my own. My chosen topic was Solving One-Step Equations. From there, students move to solve One-Step Inequalities, Two-Step Equations & Inequalities, then Solving Multi-Step Equations & Inequalities.

I like the ‘formality’ of the Progression templates as well because they serve as an organizational tool, a reminder of what you should be doing when planning lessons, and they force you to think deeper about the math.

• Terri Bond

July 10, 2021 at 4:28 pm

In this response I am going to build on the same Safety Net Standard for fourth grade that I used in our lesson 5.2.

LEARNING GOAL: Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators and represent the comparisons using the symbols < , =, >.

FUTURE KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:

Represent and solve addition and subtraction of fractions with equal denominators using objects and pictorial models that build to the number line and properties of operations.

Relate decimals to fractions that name tenths and hundredths

I believe that if I build students’ understanding of the relative sizes of fractions with different numerators and denominators without jumping to the “cross-multiplying trick,” they would be much more ready for solving problems, and then making the connection to decimals, especially if some of my “different denominators” in the Learning Goal are tenths and hundredths.

• Lori Plate

July 11, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I have used the same Standard that I used for Lesson 5-2. I also used achievethecore.org as a resource for this progression

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      July 13, 2021 at 7:49 am

Nice work here @lori.plate It looks like you’re using the resources of the course well!

• Lisamarie Barnes

July 13, 2021 at 3:27 pm

Springboard-ing off of Lesson 5.2 by supporting mathematical relationships:

• Peter Gehbauer

July 13, 2021 at 10:58 pm

I’ve been using Desmos and Camtasia Studio to create Notice and Wonder activities for Grade 12 Advanced Functions. An example is at https://youtu.be/irbdUKWZy74 – feel free to have a look and let me know what you personally notice and wonder – would be interesting feedbacl for me.

I’ve now created other Advanced Functions tasks relating to secants (average rate of change) to tangents (instantaneous rate of change), about 8 of these activities now.

What I do to make these is start Camtasia Studio, start the Desmos animation after about 10 seconds (allows for titles to be added), and run the animation (sometimes starting and stopping different Desmos animations in a predetermined sequence). I’m not adding any audio in the interest of witholding information.

• Jennifer Maher

July 14, 2021 at 4:05 pm

3.OA.B.5 (Major Work)

Apply properties of operations as strategies to multiply and divide. Examples: If 6 x 4 = 24 is known, then 4 x 6 = 24 is also known. (Commutative property of multiplication.) 3 x 5 x 2 can be found by 3 x 5 = 15, then 15 x 2 = 30, or by 5 x 2 = 10, then 3 x 10 = 30. (Associative property of multiplication.) Knowing that 8 x 5 = 40 and 8 x 2 = 16, one can find 8 x 7 as 8 x (5 + 2) = (8 x 5) + (8 x 2) = 40 + 16 = 56. (Distributive property)

Future Learning:

Multiply one-digit whole numbers by multiples of 10 in the range 10 – 90 (e.g., 9 x 80, 5 x 60) using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.

Multiply a whole number of up to four digits by a one-digit whole number, and multiply two two-digit numbers, using strategies based on place value and the properties of operations. Illustrate and explain the calculation by using equations, rectangular arrays, and/or area models.

• Linda Andres

July 21, 2021 at 2:27 pm

I am staying with my patterning goals since that is where I plan to start the school year. I added the goal for later in the year in box 2. In the third, I brainstormed some of the skills that will be introduced in later years. I am keeping all of these i a Power Point to use in further planning.

• Marjorie Allred

July 23, 2021 at 2:12 pm

In the last section, I was starting with basic fractions and building to have students perform basic operations with fractions. This will lead to students being able to use exponents with fractions and finally for them to recognize that rational expressions with variables follow the same rules as those with fractions.

• Linda Andres

July 24, 2021 at 4:12 pm

Both of my posts showed up so I hope this one can be deleted.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Linda Andres.
  • Betsy Lesley

July 25, 2021 at 5:16 pm

My rates lesson initial learning goal is for students to identify and simplify a rate, comparing the number of mice caught to a time period. (Video of barn mice being caught in humane trap.)

Future knowledge & understanding: create a table of values, graph the values and ultimately create an equation with 1 variable.

• Jill Miles

July 25, 2021 at 5:35 pm

I will use the same example of adding/subtracting fractions with unlike denominators, that I did in the last lesson as my new learning goal.

For future knowledge and understanding: it would be great to start working with word problems where students are provided the answer and need to create a question, they can be provided part of the info (to pique curiosity) and come up with notice/wonder questions to ignite extended learning, etc.

I could even look further in the future and have students solve real-world and mathematical problems by writing and solving equations of the form x + p = q and px = q for cases in which p, q and x are all nonnegative rational numbers. (which is a 6th grade standard.)

• Holly Dybvig

July 25, 2021 at 7:47 pm

When teaching integer operations they learn to add, subtract, multiply, and divide positive and negative numbers. This will begin their journey into operations of all rational numbers, solving algebraic equations, and balancing a checkbook in financial literacy. Students tend to struggle understanding how adding two negative numbers will make a “larger” negative number, which has a lesser value.

• Mary Jackson

August 2, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Using the Same Goal from 5-2 – Solve for Unknowns with Angle Relationships

Future Knowledge and Understanding: Students will notice through exploration and conjecturing that there are an infinite number of triangles that can be created that have the same exact angle measurements and those triangles are therefore similar to each other and not necessarily congruent.

Future Knowledge and Understanding in HS Geometry: Students will work to Prove and apply theorems about lines and angles. Theorems include but are not restricted to the following: vertical angles are congruent; when a transversal crosses parallel lines, alternate interior angles are congruent and corresponding angles are congruent; points on a perpendicular bisector of a line segment are exactly those equidistant from the segment’s endpoints.

Looking at the progression of these concepts helps me understand their importance as well as how important this concept is foundationally for their future math success.

• Betsy Murphy

August 2, 2021 at 8:09 pm

My learning goal is to develop proportional reasoning skills by placing students in learning activities that will promote them to discover/apply proportional reasoning to complete the task. I will begin with rich tasks that focus on fractions, so students can apply/review/learn addition/subtraction/multiplying/dividing with fractions so they feel comfortable with fractions. Next I would move on to tasks like popcorn pandemonium to promote proportional thinking. As students explore tasks like this and more I hope to help students become confident problem solvers.

• Mary Herbst

August 3, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Typically at the beginning of the year with my 6th graders we study finding the greatest common factor and least common multiple. It can be a sticky point for a lot of them. I really like the planting flowers task to move forward, but I’m hoping to figure out a way to teach GCF and LCM better. It appears to hold people back with ratios and rates as well as computation with fractions.

• Velia Kearns

August 4, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Learning Goal – Growing the Idea of Compound Interest from:
    Total Cost = Price (1+ Percentage Increase)

**Percentage Increase at the store means TAX

• Denny Nelson

August 9, 2021 at 4:58 pm

For my 8th grade unit 3 will be solving linear equations with rational coefficients. Looking at the worksheet:

Future Knowledge and Understanding includes: Analyzing and solving pairs of simultaneous equations.

After that: future knowledge and understanding includes: Use of functions and applying linear equations in geometry including volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres.

• Denise Grightmire

August 9, 2021 at 8:38 pm

Progression is to create functions with the use of parameters – then onto drawing composite shapes – which leads to the summative of coding a diagram using composite shapes of their own creation.

• Vanessa Weske

August 12, 2021 at 4:19 pm

A third grade learning goal is to represent and solve problems using multiplication and division with whole numbers. In 4th grade they have to use all four operations to solve problems with whole numbers. Then this goes into understanding the place value system and in 5th grade using the operations to solve problems including multi-digit whole numbers and decimals to the hundredths place. This activity is really helpful as a lot of teachers don’t consider the progress of where students are coming from and where they are going. It really helps to stimulate vertical alignment between grade levels as well which benefits the students’ progression of learning.

• Peggy Allen

August 28, 2021 at 12:43 am

Always important to anticipate where you are going so students will be prepared.

• Valentina Mejia

August 30, 2021 at 5:24 pm

In grade 7 we start seeing algebraic expressions and equations as well as linear equations. These are all knew knowledge which will be worked and grown upon. In grade 8 students dive deeper into this content for more linear equations and complex equations. It is nice to keep this in mind to point out and explore how these things might develop with hints or extensions for stronger students.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      September 3, 2021 at 7:17 am

Great points. Also worth noting that while students may not have prior experience with algebraic equations, they do “see” numeric equations for many years prior. Starting there and working your way slowly towards algebra can be super helpful. Using boxes or blanks for the variable might help.

• Serina Signorello

September 7, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Learning Goal: Zeros of a Linear function. Students will extend their understanding of x and y intercepts to zeros of a function. Future Learning: They can use zeros and y-intercepts to graph functions. As they learn about quadratic functions they will be asked to find zeros of a function. Also, as they move to Algebra II, they will be dealing with functions that can have more than two zeros.

Viewing 1 - 39 of 39 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now