Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Katrien Vance

July 6, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Question regarding going back to re-introduce concepts and skills students will need:  what do you do when the majority of the class has mastery (even unconscious mastery) of a concept but a student or two does not?  Do you meet separately with those students?  I have seen teachers get “hung up” on this and spend way too long on a topic that some students are not mastering.  Spiraling seems like a good answer to this, since you know you’ll come back to the concept again. But if you are building towards a learning goal, such as linear relations, and someone is not understanding proportions, what do you guys do?

• Anna Clark

July 19, 2022 at 5:33 pm

I usually meet individually with those students for a few minutes while the rest of the class is working on a bigger task!

• Rachael Young

January 3, 2022 at 6:31 am

Happy New Year guys! This is a unit I’ll be starting the new year with with my Year 7s (Australian, here, so we start the new year at the end of Jan). The unit is on Whole Number and I’m using as the example for this reflection the idea of index notation. There are a few outcomes relating to this broad concept in the Year 7 Australian Curriculum course but I’m focusing on representing patterns in square numbers and the connection between square numbers and index notation. Last year, with QR codes being very topical, I designed an exploration called Quirky QR codes challenging students to work out how many unique QR codes can be drawn on different sized square grids. Considering prior knowledge, like most of us, my classes tend to be very diverse with a 4 – 5 year difference in skills being typical. Some students will know what ‘square numbers’ are and have the understanding that it is x times x (eg 2 x 2, 3 x 3, 4 x 4 etc). They may know that square numbers form square arrays. There isn’t any specific prior knowledge on index notation, as it is introduced in Year 7 for the first time. My experience tells me that they confuse ‘squared’ with ‘x 2’ eg 6 squared = 12 (6 x 2 not 6 x 6) so this is a common mistake I’ll be looking out for.

• Shelagh Gay

March 1, 2022 at 12:28 pm

My overall teaching goal is to teach my students division. The learning goal for my first lesson will be to teach them how to share equally when the number of sets is known.

• Patricia Scheler

March 1, 2022 at 11:25 pm

This is actually how we plan our lesson for the week. I teach 2nd grade.

1. Where are our students coming from?
    We spiral in. We build background knowledge. We have seen the 1st grade standards.

2. Where are our students headed?
    We establish the objective, teach the vocabulary (if not already known), and scaffold on to what students should already know. For instance, in 1st grade students should know the value of coins. We review that, but we move on to counting the money.

3. Anticipate what students will do.
    We anticipate the mistakes or misunderstandings so we can try to avoid those.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 5, 2022 at 7:21 am

Great reflection and share for others to think on!

• Stephanie Pritchett

March 12, 2022 at 4:45 pm

I am gong to be teaching how to solve equations. Here are learning goals that might be important.

1) Understand integers, negative numbers and how you can change subtraction problems to addition.

2) What is an unknown, what is a variable

3) What are the inverses of operations (+-x/)

4) Be able to create fact families

• Tarini Arte

March 22, 2022 at 2:42 am

Not only within the progression of our lessons, but in general, I think this is why Vertical Articulation amongst grade level teachers is important. For us to see where students are coming from (in terms of topics covered, skill level, etc). One of the topics we are looking at right now is the Pythagorean Theorem. Prior knowledge required would include: squares and square roots (in helping visualize and prove the theorem and to solve problems), types of triangles (angles and side lengths), coordinate grid system (when working on distance and midpoint). All of these concepts/skills should be reviewed in some capacity prior to proving and investigating the Pythagorean Theorem to allow for a smooth exploration.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 22, 2022 at 6:46 am

Nice work here. And don’t forget that we can also use the introduction of this topic as a means to dig deeper into those prior skills and concepts you had mentioned!

• Kerri Brodie

March 22, 2022 at 8:37 pm

This fits perfectly with where I am going next week. I plan my lessons this way to ensure that my students have the framework within which to attach their new knowledge to prior learning.

• Jonathan Lind

April 2, 2022 at 10:16 am

I’m introducing matrices to my 11th grade IB class. We don’t teach matrices at all earlier in the curriculum, so I thought it would be interesting to think about a learning progression for matrices.

• David McKnight

April 4, 2022 at 12:23 am

This fits well with what we are learning next week. Volume of spheres and cones. They’re coming from 7th grade where they learned the relationship between surface area of the base of a prism or cylinder with its’ height and volume. I really like the meatball example. I think that it will be great to get students to reflect about what volume is, how it relates to the base area and depth of a cylinder. They can then speculate with regards to the volume of the spheres.

• Lizann “Lizzie” Herrera

April 7, 2022 at 5:31 pm

I’m currently working with a 4th grade teacher and his students on multiplying decimals by multiples of 10. Here’s my Learning Goal Progression:

• Dawn Oliver

April 15, 2022 at 11:46 am

The next unit I am teaching will be Graphing Systems of Equations. It is important to know what our students’ abilities are before teaching the unit because we need to know what prior knowledge they will need or they have. Students will need to know many things before graphing systems of equations. They will need to know how to use the coordinate grid, graph lines, how to use substitution and elimination, how to find x and y intercepts manipulating the equations or using a graph. So many students in my classes have gaps in their learning, so this can be very challenging. I like the idea of spiraling lessons and want to incorporate that method more in my teaching.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Dawn Oliver.
  • Zorica Lloyd

April 19, 2022 at 11:58 am

Our next topic is proportions, particularly looking at proportionality with equations, tables, and graphs. Students need to know fractions/ratios, how to find equivalent fractions, how to multiply, divide and simplify fractions, decimals, relationship between division and multiplication, understanding the coordinate plane, independent and dependent variable, the concept of a variable, evaluating expressions.

• Terry Hill

May 25, 2022 at 11:33 am

We are just ending the school year, so I will be using this after we come back from summer. I will probably start with solving equations, so I will need to go back and make sure they understand what a variable is; that they understand like terms and how to combine them; that they can work with positive and negative numbers; that they understand what an equal sign actually means.

• Renee Holmquist

June 21, 2022 at 11:30 am

This is for my Geometry class in Chapter 10 on area and at the end we do Geometric Probability.

• Jared Sliger

June 22, 2022 at 10:13 am

I will be using this planning template with solving systems of equations. It is easy to forget how many different skills they need to have mastered to be able to solve a system. It is also easy to forget how beneficial, and not that time consuming, it is to step back and re-acquaint the students with the knowledge in order to catapult them forward.

• Colegio Markham

June 23, 2022 at 3:04 pm

I am going to tech properties of quadrilaterals this week so I will start with pairs of parallel and intersecting lines including perpendicular. Then look at the angles they make and classifying them into acute, right, obtuse and reflex. Estimate angle measurement. I will need to check if they know vocab such as polygon, sides, opposite and adjacent, as well as checking if they know how to use a ruler properly to check for side length. Without all this, the properties of the different quads will not mean anything to them!

• Deanna Semyon

June 28, 2022 at 9:31 am

I took a look at day 1 lesson for 8th grade students in general education setting. I will be teaching the intervention (pull out class of 8th grade students). I was actually greatly surprised at what they will be doing on day 1- Exponents! I am not confident that my students will recognize an exponent or know what a number raised to an exponent is.

After listening to yesterday’s podcast, Misconceptions About Teaching Students Who Struggle With Math I decided I will start where the general education is starting…. but I feel like I will be behind by day 2. Day 2 the general education continues with exponents by using exponents to write prime factorization of numbers.

• Jacqueline Joseph

June 28, 2022 at 6:48 pm

This lesson is so timely. I started to teach graphing solutions to inequalities today but quickly found out that I needed to backup when I discovered that students did not understand how to solve equations. Doing this activity helped me realize exactly how far back building blocks could go. Time for a lesson revamp and relaunch.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 29, 2022 at 6:29 am

Love it! Glad you found the work helpful and is giving you a reframe of how you might approach this concept!

• Heidi Cheng

June 30, 2022 at 11:39 am

As I was filling in the graphic organizer, I reflected on what Jon and Kyle mentioned in the beginning of the course how we don’t pre-teach our students before they dive into the meaningful problem and let them get curious. I wonder now how this can be achieved as the students still need prior knowledge to facilitate the discussion. It is still necessary to think about the grouping of more knowledgeable students in one group so they won’t do all the thinking work for the less knowledgeable ones. Strategic planning for each and every lesson is much needed! I really wonder where to start when I start planning for the year.

• Marion Mulgrew

July 18, 2022 at 1:41 pm

My big idea is adding and subtracting integers (planning for the fall for back to school).

Here’s what I put together. Then I’m thinking that I want to extend it to where positive and negative fractions are on a number line and adding them.

• Christine Pomatto

July 23, 2022 at 8:31 pm

Here is my learning goal progression for Rational Number Operations. I listed the precursor skills in roughly the order they are typically taught in the U.S. (according to Common Core Standards).

• Nicolle Ristow

July 27, 2022 at 3:09 pm

My lesson is for a College Algebra Course on Quadratics.

Learning Goal:

To model and interpret real world examples with Quadratic Functions

Prior Knowledge: What is a Quadratic Function? Knowing the important parts of a quadratic function like the Vertex, line of symmetry, and zeros

Prior Knowledge: Solve Quadratic using different methods: graphing, factoring, quadratic formula, and completing the square

Prior Knowledge: Determining the independent and dependent variable and understanding what the question/situation is asking the students to solve

Learning Goal:

To model and interpret real world examples with Quadratic Functions.

• Heather Alden

August 1, 2022 at 2:29 pm

I have taught 4th grade in the past and will be starting teaching math K-2 this year for the first time. This planning will be incredibly important for me as I work to support students in K-2. I will have the time to familiarize myself with all the standards and their relationships and how they build on each other. I also know where they are going (I have taught 4th grade and 3rd grade for the past 8 years). For each concept in the fall, I will be using this framework to help me know how to create a low floor to the tasks I present at different grade levels. I want to also remember to start concrete, then visual, then abstract. There is a lot to think about when preparing each lesson as I will also want to spark curiosity with those steps as well. I know with time and practice, this planning will become easier, but it is a lot to think about before living it.

• Kami Fevery

August 14, 2022 at 3:28 pm

I have done lots of work on fractions and therefore I think I would like to use this opportunity to really develop a sound trajectory of tasks to fulfill the goal of “thinking about dividing fractions as a way to figure out a unit”. I had an extra step of prior knowledge that I just couldn’t seem to be able to leave out, so I developed a flow chart with an added prior knowledge block. : )

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Kami Fevery.
  • Kristie D’Arcangelo

August 19, 2022 at 9:02 am

For the first concept of our curriculum, the students will be working with proportional relationships as seen in graphs and tables as well as other representations. In order to be successful with this concept, students will need to: be able to find equivalent fractions and know what equivalent fractions are; simplify fractions; find unit rates; and write data as a rate/ratio showing the comparison of the two quantities.

I totally understand and see the importance of this process and agree that it is crucial that students have the foundational understanding before you can move forward successfully. However, I am concerned with the amount of time this process would take and how I would possibly be able to address ALL of the learning standards that I am expected to work through in a year, preferably before state testing which is in early to mid-May. I feel a constant internal struggle with doing what is right by students and meeting the goals my administration has for me, i.e. complete ALL curriculum prior to testing.