Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 5 – 1: How Can I use Tasks To Get Started with Spiralling? – Discussion

• Lesson 5 – 1: How Can I use Tasks To Get Started with Spiralling? – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 9, 2019 at 6:56 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Andy Neels replied 1 year, 9 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Barb Fleming

April 16, 2020 at 9:06 pm

I really appreciated Michael’s resource list. I’d like to start looking through the various sites and resources in order to get started on a plan. For me, that’s where I will probably get some inspiration of where to start and which tasks are connected. I think if I start broadly with a rich selection of tasks, I can then go to the curriculum and see how to pull the tasks into a connected progression for each spiral.

• Lisa Hudson

June 21, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Make sure you know why you want to spiral. My first inclination is I need a method that will help the math “stick” in student’s brains. However. after listening to Michael I realized that it will provide support for those students who arrive in my class later on in the school year. I am reminded of a student last year who arrived in my class only 3 weeks before we went to online instruction. We were strongly encouraged by administration to focus on reviewing previously covered material ( hey, spiral!) but this particular student had never studied solving inequalities and she was lost!

• Andy Neels

October 21, 2020 at 5:28 pm

My first task is going to be to go through that resource list and creating a master list of tasks that fit with units. From there I think I would be better prepared to start spiralling.