Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 9: What is Purposeful Practice? – Discussion

• Lesson 4 – 9: What is Purposeful Practice? – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 9, 2019 at 6:43 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Andy Neels replied 2 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Katrien Vance

December 10, 2019 at 5:37 am

We are shifting our ideas about homework this year, and this question of intentionality is on my mind. I’m looking for extensions, sequels, opportunities to reflect and connect as homework, rather than practice problems. I’m really curious to see if I feel comfortable knowing what students know and can do without traditional homework. I think and hope I will know more about what they understand, rather than what they can parrot.

• Kate Nielsen

December 10, 2019 at 5:37 am

Thank you for the ideas of what Purposeful Practice is.

• Lisa Hudson

June 20, 2020 at 11:09 pm

Purposeful practice requires that I choose practice problems with intentionality. Also, learning procedure is not bad (most of us learned by that method) but it needs to come after the concept has been learned. I personally feel that learning the concept helps tremendously with the sense-making of the procedure.

• Andy Neels

October 21, 2020 at 5:07 pm

I really liked Kyle’s reference to it NOT being purposeful practice when teachers just read the sticky note from last year (and all the years before) and assign the same questions. We need to know our students and provide practice based on your constant assessment in class. Vertical surfaces have been the way to go for me once I have the problems for the students to figure out for the purposeful practice. Its great to see their work and how they use each others work to advance their own thinking.