Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 5: What is Spiralling & Why Everyone Should Be Doing It? – Discussion

• Lesson 4 – 5: What is Spiralling & Why Everyone Should Be Doing It? – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 9, 2019 at 6:28 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Kyle Pearce replied 1 year, 1 month ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Scott Cortez

May 12, 2020 at 7:38 pm

Our curriculum at my district is modules 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 so spiraling is needed. Students don’t remember what we have done in the first month of school. Without spiraling students are only regurgitating what they remember and not showing their thinking.

• Lisa Hudson

June 18, 2020 at 11:07 pm

This past spring I read some information about spiraling and I knew from that small amount of reading that the idea of spiraling makes so much sense. I was fortunate enough to find the OAME virtual conference this past May and watched every session that mentioned spiraling and became so enthusiastic about this concept that I want to spend the month of July planning how I will spiral my classes next year. I do agree with Michael’s statement that “teaching by units gives a false sense of security” as well as creating boredom.

• Andy Neels

October 21, 2020 at 4:13 pm

Realizing that spiralling makes a lot of sense, yet stuck in some ways at taking the step to make it happen. Start small I guess, and add as I go.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  Andy Neels.
    • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      October 23, 2020 at 6:35 am

Great thinking for first steps.
      I always say considering smaller chunks can work. Say you have 6 units throughout the year… could you chop those in half to get 12 units and sort of mix them up a bit? That way the order within a unit stays the same?

• Bronwyn (she/her)

November 8, 2021 at 12:14 pm

A question that came up for me in this moment is, do you tell your students that you are going to be spiralling your content, practice problems, and/or evaluations? Students are creatures of habit (like we all are) and change is hard. If you are introducing the practice of spiralling to students for the first time, is it useful to tell them that you will be teaching one topic for a few days and then moving on to another and then returning to the first topic later in course? If so, how do you have this conversation?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      November 9, 2021 at 6:47 am

Being clear is important from the start. I begin with the idea of how important it is to not only learn but retain that learning. Therefore, I will consistently be returning to ideas to see how well we are doing with them – not as a punishment, but as a means to guide instruction. The key is flexibility though – don’t just flip gears randomly because it had been 3 days of one topic. Having a clear path in mind is helpful as you navigate through your spirals.