Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 2: How Do I Teach Through Task? – Discussion

• Lesson 4 – 2: How Do I Teach Through Task? – Discussion

Posted by Kyle Pearce on December 9, 2019 at 6:21 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Terry Hill replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 11 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Kecia Hall

March 23, 2020 at 8:16 pm

The #1 thing that absolutely resonated with me was the idea of “the bell rang and they left, but did they learn anything?” It truly highlights the importance of learning goals and having a plan.

• Michelle Browne

March 24, 2020 at 3:02 pm

I agree…sometimes I feel like everyone has worked really hard we’ve accomplished something, until the next day when I get all the same questions and I wonder …what the heck! We did this all yesterday.

• Victoria Murphy

March 25, 2020 at 2:40 pm

I have started opening with Tasks as well, but I don’t always approach it with the 5 practices in mind. I need to get this book.

• Kristi Hill

March 27, 2020 at 3:54 pm

Anticipate, Anticipate, Anticipate. We have to anticipate what students will do, where students misconceptions may be, how to address misconceptions, where to take them in the next steps if they are already ready. If we do not anticipate we get left in the land of “I wasn’t ready for that!” No teacher wants to live there.

• Barb Fleming

April 7, 2020 at 8:56 pm

I find it hard to always get to the consolidation time of the lesson in order to check in on what the majority of students have actually learned/understood, so I know how to plan my follow up lessons to address areas still needing focus.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 8, 2020 at 6:42 am

This definitely can be a challenge. I’m now starting to realize that while I want to be sure to consolidate some idea near the end of a lesson – even if it isn’t the entire consolidation I had originally planned – I can then give students some time at the beginning of the next lesson to create their “arguments” and have them defend their solutions the next day. Cathy Fosnot often intentionally has her “math congress” set up for the next day.

• Scott Cortez

April 25, 2020 at 11:06 pm

I agree I am left at the end of my math block wondering what did my students learn? Spiralling will help my students and I check their learning. I want students to want to learn and keep tabs on their own learning. If they get stuck and show low proficiency on a quiz or test I would want them to get a second, third, fourth, or whatever number of chances they need to show their thinking and learning.

With the current epidemic, I think I am going to do some spiraling may be more appropriate.

• Lisa Hudson

June 14, 2020 at 12:28 am

I also sometimes wonder at the end of class when they have been truly engaged, did they really learn anything? The consolidation of the lesson is so important whether it is at the end of the class or the beginning of the next day. Planning, planning, and more planning are so important.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 14, 2020 at 10:54 am

Couldn’t agree more with you! This is an area that both @jon and I had in our blind spot for so long as we tried to engage students. It is really easy to over emphasize curiosity and under emphasize or completely miss the sense making portion. That is why we put the framework together so that we would have a routine or a set of things for us to think about what we plan and deliver every lesson. Light

As we enter into the igniting your teacher moves portion of the framework, we will talk about some of the necessary thinking that must go into each lesson and reflection afterwards as we plan forward.

• Susan Creenan

July 19, 2020 at 12:13 am

When the bell rings at the end of class is sometimes when I feel where did the time go. We didn’t get through what I wanted to get through because the students just did not understand what “I” was “teaching”. Last year I was really that I am just not getting to these students. That is why I had to change how I teach. I am looking to this coming year with new ways of teaching. (and not because of the fact it will be very different because of the pandemic.)

• Andy Neels

October 7, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Absolutely agree that we have to know our students, just like the one kid that had the meltdown because the task was different then expected or normal, and the other student that wouldn’t leave because she enjoyed it so much – we never do know if or how, something we change is going resonate with the kids we teach.

• Terry Hill

June 26, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Getting started! Yep, that is what I plan to do when school starts back in August.