Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 10: Are You Practicing What You Preach? & Big Takeaways – Discussion

• Lesson 4 – 10: Are You Practicing What You Preach? & Big Takeaways – Discussion

Posted by Kyle Pearce on December 9, 2019 at 6:45 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Terry Hill replied 5 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Karen Bigham

January 2, 2020 at 2:40 pm

My biggest question is how to put it all together.  I would equate this feeling I have to leading an orchestra (have not done, but just go with the analogy…).  I know all the pieces/parts I want and need, but I don’t have them lined up well enough to weave together.   (Does that make sense?)

• Karen Bigham

January 2, 2020 at 2:48 pm

To add in: I mean ALL the things like: Number talks, 3-act tasks, spiraling, Project Based Learning, etc.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        April 14, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Be sure to start slow. Maybe pick one (1) easy starting point. I find spiralling or interleaving my written assessment “check-ins” is the easiest place to start. Then, we can use that data to help start planning where we go next. The next thing you know, you’ll be mixing content to suit student needs. A perfect combo!

• Barb Fleming

April 14, 2020 at 8:26 pm

I also have need to reflect on how I want to involve spiraling into the next school year. I have been reading Dr. Nicki Newton’s work around the Math Workshop. I would like to involve some Math Workstations possibly as the place for purposeful practice geared to the needs of my students in order to continue to build conceptual understandings and practise procedural fluency even when we’ve moved onto different concepts for a bit. I also want to incorporate guided math groups, so I can really know my students and their strengths and needs well to plan effectively. So many great discussion points to pursue and think about before my plan will really come together.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 14, 2020 at 9:20 pm

I love this!

Rather than say pre-planning spirals, maybe a better approach is just “starting” with guided math groups and using the data you collect from your interactions in small group instruction to guide what content you explore with those individual groups. Next thing you know… you’re spiralling!

• Lisa Hudson

June 20, 2020 at 11:33 pm

So much information to think about and absorb as I continue my learning path. I am fairly content with the warmup procedures that I currently use with the exception that I need to shorten the amount of time to no more than 5-10 minutes per day in a 45 minute class period. I need to spend much reflection time with my TEKS to determine how I want to structure my spiraling over the course of the school year.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 22, 2020 at 9:18 pm

Short blocks of time are always a huge challenge. Definitely magnifies the importance of planning and timing!

• Andy Neels

October 21, 2020 at 5:15 pm

My big take away is I am definitely going to have to learn to be flexible and change my plans as needed when I dive into spiraling my math class.

• Terry Hill

July 5, 2022 at 11:08 pm

It was great to hear someone else who hasn’t done this yet asking a whole lot of the same questions that I have.