Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.6: Setting Up a Portfolio Using Fresh Grade – Discussion

• Lesson 3.6: Setting Up a Portfolio Using Fresh Grade – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 15, 2020 at 3:46 pm

What new take-aways do you have?

What questions are you still wondering?

Share your thinking below…”

Stephanie Pritchett replied 2 months, 1 week ago 9 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Malia Heimbach

December 28, 2020 at 4:35 pm

This looks promising! I didn’t watch the google slides option, but having used google slides extensively I can see the benefit of this program being easily accumulative for those of us that can’t, or don’t, plan far ahead.

Questions I still have: are ALL assignments being included in the portfolio, or is this more of a situation where you would give a choice board for each learning topic?

• Jon

Administrator
      December 29, 2020 at 6:55 am

Hi there @malia-heimbach I use the program for all learning goals (which are all the big ideas I want to assess for my students).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  Jon Orr.
      • Malia Heimbach

December 31, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Do you have any suggestions for distributing access codes for the classic version to students while virtual? (Trying to streamline things with 90 students!)

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        January 1, 2021 at 9:12 am

I’m sure @jon has a good workflow for that!

• Jon

Administrator
        January 2, 2021 at 8:27 am

@malia-heimbach — I haven’t yet built a workflow for distributing codes online for classic. I’ve started the year off in class.

My wonder is: it might be a time to give the FreshGrade Connect a try instead of classic to streamline that approach.

• Jaana Gray

January 17, 2021 at 4:00 pm

This looks like an interesting system. I wonder if this would work across my grade.

• Daniel Whittaker

July 23, 2021 at 2:05 am

Hmmm, looking at this a little bit. I do like the easy way to show a body of work for a student. I wish there was a better way to get all my students into the class. They should have a class code that I can send to my students for them to automatically join my class.

Seems like a good tool, but the setup process makes me think I’ll probably stick to Slides… Looking forward to watching that one as well.

• Callie Smith

October 19, 2021 at 12:28 pm

This looks good. I like that all of the things are accessible at all times (very assignment for every learning goal). I’m hesitant to put one more program in our tech lives…. I want to see what you guys say for Slides before I commit to anything. We even have a “portfolio” option on our grading program already, but I’m not sure what it looks like or does. It would be really good if there’s something already connected to our parents and students…. I’ll have to check it out.

• Jeremy Sarzana

June 2, 2022 at 7:13 am

A big takeaway for me is that freshgrade is a great tool to help with assessment for growth. I like how the standards are already embedded. I am looking forward to learning more about portfolios!

• Terry Hill

June 21, 2022 at 8:50 am

This does look interesting. My wonder is how many uploads per learning goal do your students have to do?

• Jon

Administrator
      June 22, 2022 at 6:36 am

@terry-hill I don’t have a “set” number that is a minimum. What number of pieces of evidence would make you feel confident that they are showing consistency?

• Terry Hill

June 22, 2022 at 3:11 pm

I am not sure, which is why I wondered how many would be enough. On average, how many would you say you require?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
        June 23, 2022 at 6:41 am

I think this can vary from topic to topic. How important is it? How necessary is it for the next grade level? Is it a main focus of your course or just something that feels like more of an add on?

• Stephanie Pritchett

July 21, 2022 at 7:15 pm

Fresh grades look really slick. I’ll watch the next lesson and decide what I want to do.

Our district uses Skyward to report grades. For mastery grading I am able to put in a 1,2,3, or 4 and the grading system will convert it to a percentage. I can also do percentages. I’m not sure which is better. Those who use Fresh Grade are they having to report on a district system as well. Does anyone have any ideas how to manage both. I really like the portfolio features of Fresh grade and that parents have access to it.