Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.3: Transitioning to Standards Based Grading – Choosing Big Ideas – Discussion

• Lesson 3.3: Transitioning to Standards Based Grading – Choosing Big Ideas – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 15, 2020 at 3:02 pm

What new take-aways do you have?

What questions are you still wondering?

Share your thinking below…”

Stephanie Pritchett replied 2 months, 1 week ago 16 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • Jaana Gray

January 14, 2021 at 5:01 pm

This ties in well with listing our learning goals in student friendly language for each lesson, so it makes sense that our grades match.

• Cheryl Jackson

April 3, 2021 at 10:08 am

The MB curriculum is similar to the Ontario, but less specific. I appreciate the flexibility you described to either have a LG such as I can multiply 2 digit by 3 digit numbers OR be more specific and break down the suggested implementation goals such as using place value.

My question is about the grades themselves if I’m not assessing formative assessment, or more specifically assigning a grade to it, which I don’t… where are all of your marks for report cards coming from? How do I decide what a levelled response looks like? If by giving them a weekly quiz with spiralled lgs on it, how do I grade each question separately, or more specifically how do I have it affect the students 1-4 mastery and in turn how do I come up with a percentage come report cards?

Sorry for the lengthy reply. This is all just so different than anyone I know grades.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 5, 2021 at 7:11 am

We are most certainly assessing as much as we can as often as we can, however those quantifiers and qualifiers we use may or may not all be shared with the student. So we want to keep feedbacking as often as we can, but also ensure students know that they can continue to demonstrate learning throughout the year (the door never shuts on them until the last day).

I’ve tried going feedback only, some feedback with grades, and everywhere in between. You really need to find what works best for you to ensure students have an understanding of what you know they know, understand and can do and not have it too grade centric where they feel that they “have the grade that they want/need”. It’s a balancing act for sure.

• Christopher Ernst

April 5, 2021 at 3:54 pm

My largest takeaway is what Kyle was saying about how going through the process, your end result may not feel like it uses all the work you put in. I’m starting to do this, and I need to remind myself to not get too granular.

• Anthony Waslaske

July 16, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Basically, take your curriculum document and think about how you will group ideas and generalize the information to make them student-friendly. I am wondering if I can skip the gamification this year, and all this will work out fine. In fact, use Seesaw or Freshgrade to do some of the work for me.

• Jon

Administrator
      July 17, 2021 at 8:50 am

@anthony.waslaske You’ll definitely want to choose what is manageable for you. Keep in mind we morphed these processes over years (and continue to).

• Daniel Whittaker

July 20, 2021 at 2:45 am

Our school has been working toward SBG for the past few years. We chose Key standards at the beginning of the process, but didn’t really understand how they would be used. Last year was our first year officially following SBG, but the Common Core standards we were using were NOT kid friendly language. We spent the year getting by with not very well written LGs while we compiled and organized them better for the coming year. Wish I could have watched this session last summer! But, excited to learn better how to implement and track learning!

• Jamie BALLARD

July 25, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Thankfully our district went through and created an essential question and 3 to 5 big ideas for each unit. I like them, but almost feel like I need to keep them as the overall learning expectation. Then add in more granular learning targets. We utilized this in our Algebra 2 curriculum last year.

For instance, one of my favorite big idea questions we have students answer is:

How do I incorporate complex numbers into my understanding of quadratics?

The essential question for the unit is:

How are quadratics modeled in real-life?

When I keep my focus zoomed out at these questions, I am a better teacher. However, we did use learning targets that sometimes would align well under a singular big idea question, but often the learning target would overlap in these questions. For me, the big ideas/essential question is the why we are doing the math. The learning targets are more procedural skills.

I am not this is correct thinking, but that is where I am at this moment.

• Leslie Stevens

July 31, 2021 at 3:37 pm

We’ve been doing SBG for about 6 years now at my school, and it is great to get affirmation on some of the things we are doing, and ideas for improvement on others. Our learning goals are pretty high level to keep things simple, and perhaps we need to get a bit more granular as we improve. Thanks for the great information.

• Jeanette Jones

August 18, 2021 at 11:21 am

I am excited to sit down and go through the big ideas and write out the learning goals. I think this will be challenging and overwhelming, especially since class beginning in a week, but I feel lik this will be such a good thing for my students and help make me a better teacher.

• Pamela Brock

August 18, 2021 at 4:25 pm

Getting to work on sorting out the learning goals and targets now. I need to make sure I include the “understand” part when I’m thinking about what I want my students to know, understand, and be able to do. I’m usually paralyzed by overthinking everything SO much. It still seems daunting when tackling this on my own, but I’m just going to get started and see how it goes! My big take-away is that it doesn’t have to be perfect. It’s a work in progress and I may want to change it up later. And my process may look different than someone else’s. I know that for my students, but forget to take my own advice. Thank you!

• Jon

Administrator
      August 19, 2021 at 7:35 am

@pamela.brock That’s a great takeaway and a bonus about our jobs. We get to experiment a little. Try and tweak something and if it’s not what we want we tweak some more!

• Traci Lynott

September 19, 2021 at 1:56 pm

I agree with others that my biggest takeaway is that it is not going to be perfect or maybe even “good” as I start. This is a big shift for me and I have told my students at the beginning of our school year that we are going on a learning journey together this year. I am getting close to being done with my career but never want to stop striving to be the best for my students. This is very overwhelming as I seem to be the only one in my department and even building that understands this type of deep learning is so good for students. We tend to get so caught up in standardized, high-stakes testing that we forget that these are kids and not robots. Thanks to you and all in the community as I am learning from the posts and don’t feel alone.

• Callie Smith

September 25, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I like the idea of sticky notes to organize the standards/ learning goals. What a great visual that would be!

I am thankful for the reminder that we have the year to reach these standards. However, I then feel like I butt up against the need for progress reports and quarter grades and grades. I feel like you guys are getting to this, so I will be patient! 🙂

• Jeremy Sarzana

May 16, 2022 at 6:54 am

A big takeaway for is the idea of having learning goals as opposed to test scores, assignments etc. Also I like combining ideas into each learning goal which will help spiraling.

A wonder I have is how to evaluate and that’s coming next!

• Terry Hill

June 18, 2022 at 11:50 am

I believe there are 46 standards listed for Algebra 1 in my state, so I don’t think I want to list all of them, and their sub-standards, as learning goals. I will definitely have to take the time to figure out how to combine some of these to make it something that seems doable for the students.

• Jon

Administrator
      June 19, 2022 at 8:02 am

@terry-hill Yes, by no means do we list every standard. Think about the big ideas (an over-arching standard) that a group of standards address and make that 1 area you will assess.

• Stephanie Pritchett

July 20, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Big take away is finding a happy medium where the learning goal isn’t too big or too specific. I like Kyles’ idea about listing everything in a strand and seeing how you can group things together. Has anyone done this as you are going through the year? I’m running out of summer and kind of want to implement this as I go. Any ideas?