Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Are You Picky Enough? Lesson 2: How We Can Be More Picky – Discussion

• Lesson 2: How We Can Be More Picky – Discussion

Posted by Jon on December 12, 2019 at 8:05 am

What was your big take away from this particular lesson?

What is something you are still wondering?

Share your thinking below.

Theodore Crum replied 1 year, 2 months ago 17 Members · 20 Replies
  • 20 Replies
  • Robin Dubiel

December 12, 2019 at 9:46 am

I value lessons that allow time for talk. I’m a firm believer in Think Pair Share. I value places for all people to “enter in” , wherever they’re at as a learner.

• Robin Dubiel

Great points on Assess and Ratio. So very true.

• Robin Dubiel

Ok. So, I’m thinking:

Talk – how do we get to communicate and verify?

Open – can we all at least start??

Assess – what can I discover about learners?

Ratio – is prep to outcome decent?

• Elisha Horbay

December 12, 2019 at 9:47 am

Purposeful – will it meet the needs of my students

and then I would have to agree with Show, Discuss and Assess

• Sonamarie Meyer-Pum

December 12, 2019 at 9:48 am

I value in my lessons the following:

Kids are actively participating, curiosity is stirred, clear comprehension and enjoyment. I love to assess progress and see learners enjoy a lesson and want more of it!

The four criteria I would use:

1. Quality – the quality of the content. Whether it comprises out of different levels type of questions. From easy to more challenging. Will it stir synopses in the brain 😉

2. Collaboration – Are they communicating their findings.

3. Representing – Learners show their understanding of the work in different forms

4. Assessing – Evaluating learner work as well as reflecting on own work.

• Anna Wold

December 12, 2019 at 9:48 am

I value lessons that get students involved in the math.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      December 15, 2019 at 8:37 pm

I so agree!

Are there any key elements that you find are great at getting students involved?

• Leanne Van Bergen

December 14, 2019 at 7:55 am

I value increasing both the quality and quantity of math discourse. Also there should be multiple levels of entry points for all students. 

• Erika Brown

April 15, 2020 at 10:51 am

I value a lesson that:

-allows all students to feel success during the lesson but also challenges them.

-involves students DOING the math.

-has a solid introduction piece. (Students start out interseted- they are not quickly overwhelmed and wanting to give up.)

• ANAND BERNARD

May 15, 2020 at 2:05 pm

I really like the Show, Discuss, Assess, and Ratio. I think I might add on engage, I sometimes find tasks that include all these things, but are not very engaging for students so not much showing/discussing is happening.

• Cathy Boatright

May 19, 2020 at 2:03 pm

On my list had been student engagement but I think that’s short sighted; engagement should be a given and outcome such as Show, Discuss, Assess would be better longer look attributes to prioritize.

• Jon

Administrator
      May 21, 2020 at 11:23 am

@cathy-boatright I like how you modified your list. I think engagement can be developed if you focus on Discuss, assess and show!

• Merryl Polak

July 17, 2020 at 5:19 pm

This is a great question, and I reserve the right to modify my choices, but they are (at this moment in time):

1) Floor/Ceiling-all students have access to the lesson and buy in.

2) Collaborate-self-explanatory.

3) Connect and Engage-Students make connections to prior topics and are engaged to synthesize their learning

4) Sense making-students were able to make sense of the concepts and have a genuine takeaway.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Merryl Polak.
  • Erin Wahler-Cleveland

July 23, 2020 at 3:25 pm

@Jon I’m adopting yours, they’re great 🙂

• Sean Breen

November 25, 2020 at 11:51 am

In no particular order:

*) The materials must be understandable to the students. Too often activities and problems contain language and/or cultural references that are unknown or confusing to the students.

*) Provides student voice and choice.

*) Provide a variety of ways for students to demonstrate strategies and level of knowledge.

*) Low floor/high ceiling.

• Adam Love

January 18, 2021 at 12:54 pm

I would say any activity/tool that generates genuine curiosity towards mathematical reasoning. I am not just saying anything curious, but a situation/problem/pattern that leaves students wanting to know the “secret” or the explanation.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      January 19, 2021 at 6:56 am

Couldn’t agree more. I find there are so many math tech tools that suck out curiosity and do all of the thinking. Hard to find the balance on that one with many tools.

• Wendy Bain

February 13, 2021 at 11:36 am

I like this task… I’m not sure if I tried to get too fancy and strayed off course, but here is what I have so far:

Enter –> Puzzle –> Represent –> Advance

•There needs to be an entry point for all students and different exit points

•Students need to be engaged in solving the puzzle or be puzzled by the problem to activate/deepen their thinking

•Students can communicate or represent their thinking/understanding with numbers, words, and visual representations (which allows me to assess their progress)

•The task will help students advance or deepen their understanding, no matter what knowledge/concepts they brought with them to the task, and the task also advances my curricular plan

• Andy Neels

April 14, 2021 at 4:46 pm

1. Problem solvers

2. Low floor / high ceiling

3. Collaboration / discussion

4. Grit / focus

• Theodore Crum

July 19, 2021 at 3:04 pm

I value lessons and activities that provide space for students to quickly engage in math in a way that they are invested in solving problems. The curiosity path that you all mention is helpful in this.

I also look for opportunities for students to demonstrate their knowledge, have conversations, and collaborate.

I always want to consider the level of direction that will be needed with students, particularly at the beginning of a school year. I want students to build a level of independence, and therefore, I look for activities that allow students to work without having to stop and ask the teacher for clarification.