fbpx

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Tagged: 

• Lesson 2-5: Question & DIscussion

• Jon Orr

Administrator
    May 1, 2019 at 11:48 am

What is your biggest take away from the How to Start A Math Fight Lesson? What are other resources you use to create discussions in math class?

• Gretchen Burch

February 8, 2021 at 1:36 am

My biggest takeaway from this lesson 2-5 is the power of using fostering discussion in a math class. I have used the site looking at graphs using the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/column/whats-going-on-in-this-graph website.

This website fosters a lot of the what do you wonder and what do you notice conversations in class. However, there is not always the math strand focus that I am looking but it does always get students talking about real-world data and trying to unpack and understand what they are seeing. The resources shared certainly address that issue.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      February 8, 2021 at 6:03 am

@gretchen Great resource! Thanks for sharing here.

• Robert Barth

February 10, 2021 at 10:58 am

I think that idea of getting kids to talk in class without fear of right/wrong gets them used to talking in general so that when you get to the actual topics for the day, they are in the habit of discussing their ideas already. Also, you can tie in content with some of these. Like the headbands activity would be easy to introduce the a,b and c values of a quadratic or using the which one does not belong to discuss graphing linear inequalities.

• Bailey Mortensen

February 10, 2021 at 4:51 pm

I like how each resource encourages students not just to come up with an answer but also share their answer with others and explain their reasoning. It seems like discussing their thinking and listening to others is where real learning can happen.

• Scott McNutt

February 10, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I have used the tools of “estimation180” and “would you rather?” with some success. I tend to pull them out if I am looking for a warmup to get students talking. They are low risk and allow students to practice mathematical justification.

However, the biggest take away I am getting from this is creating the criteria that I am looking for when adopting different classroom tools. I become overwhelmed because I am always reading, hearing, and seeing the next great idea in math. I think the four shared in the video are still what I am looking for, but I never explicitly vocalized or thought about what to look for when incorporating a new concept in my classroom. (Especially the ratio criteria because I am all about working to improve my practice. But is the time and money spent going to create the best results, or is there a more straightforward way?)

I know I got away from the student discussion in math class. But the idea of a math fight is essential because it gives the student the practice to be able to justify and have reason to believe their thinking. I feel each of these tools would be beneficial in supporting this idea.

• Maryanna Biedermann

February 17, 2021 at 7:52 pm

Scott,

I second your thought on determining what I value in the classroom that create good learning opportunities and yes, the balancing act of time investment for student growth is a constant challenge.

Thanks for the thoughts.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    February 11, 2021 at 7:39 am

Great take aways here related to the importance of getting students talking, explaining and engaged! Having some clear structure around the different tools you use in your class can also reduce overwhelm when planning.

• Stephen Prince

February 11, 2021 at 5:52 pm

I have used and will continue to use “Estimation 180”. It interested me that students in my class who were currently lower attaining were also not as competent at estimation. Developing this skill could help transform their confidence in Maths.

I would also like to find the same perimeter different area animation (with sticks) as I haven’t found it yet with some searching. Does anyone know where i can find it?

• DAVID DIEHL

February 11, 2021 at 10:37 pm

One of my main takeaways is the Would You Rather. I am working with slope and y intercept and I could see doing something where I have 3 different numbers and students decide if they would rather have number A, B, or C as the slope, the y-intercept or the “x” value to get the highest number. Throwing negatives in there could make them think more. I could have manipulatives avaiallbe like algera tiles or just cubes or anything to represent the slope and interept and maybe little cups as the “x” value meaning they have to repeat the slope that many times.

I am also thinking of a game I call Top Number where they click on the Google random number generator set to give numbers between 10 and -10 and they have to think if the highest value would be obtained by adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing (they can estimate for division). It gets them arguing about what subtracting by a negative means and multiplying negatives. For challenges, we in clude fractions, it gets heated when they have to decide between -5/7 and -6/49 which one is bigger. The conversations, the openness of opportunity for rethinking concepts is great.

Thanks for helping me think about this.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 13, 2021 at 7:22 am

Really liking the integers game to get students fluent and flexible with integer operations!

• Trina Gratrix

February 12, 2021 at 11:58 am

I’ve used both the Would You Rather and the Which one Doesn’t belong structures in my classroom and have loved them. My take away was more ideas to try. I think I can leverage the Math Before Bed to my 6th grade class, and also the Estimation 180. Thanks for sharing these.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 13, 2021 at 7:23 am

Enjoy!

• Michelle Grebe

February 12, 2021 at 6:39 pm

I really like the diagram at the end with the teacher directing on the left side versus the students collaborating, while the teacher assesses on the right. The idea of students having math discussions through games and activities and learning to support their thinking is powerful. Another resource I hope to use in the classroom is Esti Mysteries from https://stevewyborney.com.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 13, 2021 at 7:23 am

Steve Wyborney is fantastic!

• John Gaspari

February 13, 2021 at 2:52 pm

I have used in the past or am currently using all of the resources mentioned for math talks, creating discussion to start my math lesson. It is usually never focused on the lesson for the day but more planned haphazardly, just wanting my students talking math before we begin the lesson. The discussions often leads to new concepts being explored, an unintended result but often engaging for my students as they want to know more. I find the Math Fight Placemat will be very useful to plan each day and each week with particular goals in mind. I also see it as a way to spiral the math to reinforce math concepts already learned. I look forward to trying Headbanz with my class next (I’ll have to make a trip to the Dollar Store) and when I think my students are ready, Two Truths and a Lie. Thanks again for the Math Before Bed 180 Days resource, Jon.

PS I have also used http://fractiontalks.com/ and plan on using Jo Boaler’s Data Talks

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 14, 2021 at 6:43 am

Loving it! Keep on rocking!

• Maryanna Biedermann

February 17, 2021 at 7:48 pm

My biggest take away from “How to Start a Math Fight” is that it is really about the quality discourse among ALL students; not just the extroverts or the confident; nor the experienced, nor just those that have attained the level of abstract thinking earlier in their development but every single kid. I have heard it 100 times, that the students who do the talking, do the the learning and here are routines that facilitate thinking, challenging, and reconsidering. This goes along with status in the classroom and the routines and tasks that get every one talking, change the game.

After listening to one of the Math Mentoring podcasts, I am seeing this “How to Start a Math Fight” as a routine that I can readily draw on—with many amazing resources, it does get overwhelming. By focusing on what I value, as mentioned by Jon, to create good learning opportunities, I can narrow the resources by asking, “Do they promote discourse among all learners”.

The resources provided by peers are also thought provoking….fractiontalks.com? Boaler’s Data Talks? New to me!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 20, 2021 at 7:07 am

Sounds like some huge take aways for you here and some new resources to boot! As you mentioned, don’t look at it as overwhelm by trying to fit everything in… use them as places to draw resources from when the timing / need arises!

• Erin Koehler Smith

February 19, 2021 at 10:55 pm

One take away for me is how, though we “turn and talk” often, using these tools and resources for math fights will elevate the level of discourse as students will have to defend their thinking, which will cause a burst of meta-cognition in math. It also reinforces our work in NGSS (science) with the Claim-Evidence-Reasoning work we’re doing across content areas.

I’m about to move into a role of teaching math to Chinese Immersion students who haven’t yet learned math in English, so I think this level of discourse will help with exposure to math vocabulary as well….it will encourage them to use more precise math terminology in their “arguments”.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      February 20, 2021 at 7:08 am

So key! For students whose first language is not English, finding opportunities for them to engage in verbal discussion is so important. I love your idea of bringing elements of Math Fights to this context!

• Holly Blahun

February 28, 2021 at 5:29 pm

I absolutely loved the clip of your girls! My mom and dad “made” us read every night as well – and I am forever grateful. I’m sure it had lots to do with my success in school. Our elementary had a contest “100 Days of Reading” and you got entered for prizes and a pizza party at the end – I just wish there were similar things for Math and Numeracy. Maybe I’ll come up with “100 Days of Puzzles” for next year.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      March 1, 2021 at 6:19 am

Looks like you’ve got a new project on the horizon! 😉

• Selena Gallagher

March 6, 2021 at 8:44 am

I love all of these resources and I have used many of them before, along with Steve Wyborney’s Esti-Mysteries and Estimation Clipboards, as well as the NYT What’s Going On In This Graph and Jo Boaler’s Data Talks. I’ve used them as daily warm ups in a 5th grade class, not just during math time, but as a provocation to get kids talking as they come into class in the morning. However, I need to do a better job of having all students participate equally, not just the extroverts and the confident kids, so I’ll definitely incorporate the think, pair, share routine. And I like the idea of having a template ready for students to write down their ideas. I’ve found that some students are reluctant to write down their estimates for an esti-mystery, even though it’s really low stakes. New to me are the Estimation180 resources and Two Truths & A Lie, so I’m looking forward to trying those.

One potential issue is that we can easily get immersed in great math discussions with these activities and suddenly a ten minute warm up has turned into a 25 or 30 minute extravaganza, putting time pressure on the actual content we’re supposed to be getting through that day!

• Kay Walder

March 6, 2021 at 10:51 pm

After watching this video I went and pulled a would you rather prompt from the web. Looking forward to seeing what the students come up with this coming week. I also will incorporate the 2 truths and a lie, but I think I will do this with the idea that you talk about on the podcast- Can you spot the truths or the lies? I want them to think about each prompt and not look for a pattern of 2 are correct and one is not. I love the idea of having them write their own, but with a blended class this is difficult since the at home learners can’t go around the room. I could do this digitally, but the conversation would be lost.

• Laura Las Heras Ruiz

March 7, 2021 at 3:10 pm

I always liked to promote that my students could talk about math with their partners, I started to do it seriously when I’ve found the Formative math assesment lessons . They help me a lot to improve my math lessons in many ways. But I’ve always thing that the kind of tudents that can follow the lessons with the timing that they propose are not like my students so I readjust the lessons and they work very well now. I’ve used also the WODB, in Catalan we talk about QUELIS .

I think all of the resources you show are great I’m very thankful to you.

• Lena Tunon

March 15, 2021 at 9:45 pm

I really love using which one doesn’t belong in my classroom with 2nd and 3rd graders. I teach in a bilingual school with 90% of students who are not native English speakers. I appreciate that this resource allows for:

– authentic conversation practice

– multiple entry points to problem-solving

– a variety of “correct” answers

– necessitates that students justify and explain their thinking

– flexible application of content

I have never tried using WODB with missing items, and I look forward to introducing this extension in the future!!

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Lena Tunon.
    • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      March 16, 2021 at 6:53 am

Thanks for sharing! It is never too early to get students reasoning and proving to build those adaptive reasoning skills!

• Helen Calaway

March 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Where can I find the “Math Fight” notes?

• Melissa Marchesi

April 11, 2021 at 1:48 pm

My biggest takeaway from the How to Start a Math Fight Lesson is that while all of these resources facilitate excellent math conversation and encourage the use of math terms and push students to think mathematically, they also help to foster relationships between students and create an opportunity for me to know my students better. I use the WouldYouRatherMath site regularly and I find that during our math fights, I learn a ton about my students as people. They work as great ice-breakers and help create a sense of community within my math classroom.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      April 12, 2021 at 6:20 am

Great points here. We can often forget how important relationship building is to create a strong community of math learners. This is a fantastic way to achieve that!

• Jeremiah Barrett

May 25, 2021 at 3:51 pm

My take away is that this going to be great for developing my 8th graders Number Sense. I can’t wait to play Headbands and assign students negative exponents or numbers in Scientific Notation. I also think Which One Doesn’t Belong is going to be a great activity for Roots. All of these resources are going to be helpful in facilitating student discourse. Very helpful, and worthwhile.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      May 26, 2021 at 6:22 am
      • azuka ojini

June 8, 2021 at 2:35 pm

She is definitely getting her point across.

• Gerilyn Stolberg

June 2, 2021 at 7:41 pm

I have used examples from Estimation 180, Math Before Bed and Which One Doesn’t Belong and Would You Rather in my classroom but not consistently. I like the discussions that they generate. I am excited to try the HeadBandz and Two Truths and One Lie.

I am thinking about creating a schedule for myself- Monday- Math Before Bed, Tuesday- Which One Doesn’t Belong, etc. so that I get consistent with them and my students like routine. If they know that we have a Math Fight each day they will come to expect it. I am going to try creating the routine for the next three weeks before school ends so that I can flow into summer enrichment and September with some experience and a plan.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 3, 2021 at 7:08 am

Great idea! Just keep in mind thst you’ll want to ensure you’ve got a balance between what you’re currently learning and that routine. I know that many teachers feel time is a struggle so just want to make sure you’re keeping that aspect top of mind.

• Andrea Cadman

June 29, 2021 at 1:11 pm

I did this a couple of years ago. It worked really well for a while and then the kids got tired of the routine. Looking to start it up again, but without the specific lesson on a specific day part. I will change it up and maybe only do these two or three days a week instead of all five so the kids are more excited to do them.

• Karynn Faivre

June 8, 2021 at 9:41 am

I love the idea of Bedtime Math. Within my district, reading is stressed from pre-K to 12, but math development is seldom considered outside of schools. I have encouraged many young parents to cut sandwiches in different fractions and talk to their children about this. I also talk to them about skip counting and playing skip-counting games while at the dinner table. Although I teach at the high school level, I am sharing this website for the teacher-parents in our schools and for elementary teachers to include in their parent communications. Thanks for such awesome ideas!

• azuka ojini

June 8, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Providing the opportunity for our learners to air their views is the greatest take away for me. It validates the concept of mirage and the true. Until and idea has been allowed to come out, it is only a mirage. In a pair and share setting, the learners can kick their ideas around and test the validity of their assertion.

I find the 2T1L is an awesome tool to take to a math fight. This tool provides the learners the opportunity to talk, exchange ideas, and provide logical evidence to take to a wider community of math learners. You are as good as gold, if you can support your claim.

• Jennifer Kelley

June 8, 2021 at 6:59 pm

Sara VanDerWerf, a personal math hero, says that a day in her math class without math discussion is a wasted day. Wow! I love all the tools to help with math discussion. I also really like the idea of establishing your own personal criteria for adding math resources to your classroom. I suspect my list will look almost exactly like yours, but I had never quantified it like that before.

• Theodore Crum

June 8, 2021 at 7:00 pm

I like the idea of showing us around a few resource sites that you actually use, with the bit about your thoughts on how utilizing these can quickly lead to the type of discussion and collaboration that is so important. You can see how the other elements are integral to having a discussion. In my experience, students are almost always eager to chat about something.

I can see how using these sorts of prompts allows for varying degrees of time. The estimates could be done pretty quickly, as could the teacher-made two truths & a lie. The student-created version would take some extra time, but could provide a very deep and rich learning experience, particularly in critiquing and discussing work with one another.

• Marjorie Allred

June 8, 2021 at 9:54 pm

I have used WODB quite a bit in the past. We have had some great discussions with them. I think I need to tell my daughter and daughter-in-law about Math Before Bed so they can do those with my grandchildren. They seem like a great way to help kids enjoy math. I know what grandma will be doing when they come stay the night. Along with reading, of course.

I think one of the big take-aways for me was the idea of having my students design their own problems. I could see doing that with a Would You Rather or WODB.

• Betsy Murphy

June 9, 2021 at 10:18 pm

I use a lot of the tools presented but my take away is the importance of getting students talking, with a partner or small group. My goal for the new school year will be to have more MATH TALKS on a variety of topics not just what we are currently learning, to keep the students curious and engaged.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 10, 2021 at 6:47 am

Math talks have really changed how I approach pretty much each lesson. Especially when we are sharing math talks that elicit a particular big idea, strategies and models. Great goal to set yourself up with!

• Kristina Hill

June 10, 2021 at 6:19 pm

I have used WODB for a couple of years now. When we went remote, the WODB was placed in a discussion board.

I want to do Would You Rather and open middle this coming year. I’m interested in doing the headband and Estimation 180 for my pre-Algebra class.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      June 11, 2021 at 6:37 am

Super fun! Where do you see using headbands? What topic/lesson do you see this fitting in nicely?

• Diane Fortune

June 16, 2021 at 6:44 pm

I love the Math Before Bed book – I’ve used it for a few years now and I’m really looking forward to trying the the Estimation 180 site when we go back to school!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 17, 2021 at 7:19 am

So glad to hear it!
      Lots of fun and learning to be had with those resources!

• Mary Herbst

June 20, 2021 at 7:43 pm

My biggest takeaway is that I can use these as a warmup, especially to maybe introduce a new topic so I can see what prior understanding the class has, but that it could also be a review. I see that as the time for the students to create their own examples.

• Anthony Waslaske

June 26, 2021 at 12:23 am

I agree with the consensus of responses regarding the importance of having math discussions in the classroom. One of the lessons I learned during Covid was it was really difficult for students to process content without discourse. When it occurred for traditional classroom students, they asked for more of it as they recognized its value. That was an ah-ha moment for me because I read the research but the experience proved its validity. I also agree with Mary Herbst that the Rounds 2-5 resources are potential class warm-ups: Would You Rather, Which One Doesn’t Belong, and Estimation 180.

I actually used the Solve Me Mobile and the collaboration and engagement I received from that activity lend to class discussions about keeping an equation balanced regardless of the operation we used. I found it indispensable.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      June 26, 2021 at 9:56 am

Those rounds are definitely starters and they also have the ability to evolve into full lessons.

• Carrie Winland

June 27, 2021 at 2:56 pm

My biggest takeaway from the How to Start a Math Fight Lesson is the vast amount of ways to get kids thinking and talking! I love the ideas of turning the focus from me as the presenter to the students as the ones engaged. I’m really thinking about how I can get students to create their own pictures and videos requiring others to make estimations. I can see using all of these math fight methods at various times throughout the year as a lesson opener or a brain break.

• Lori Plate

June 27, 2021 at 4:24 pm

My biggest take away from this lesson is to take the class time to allow students to have the discussions and justify their reasoning. I believe that if you can find an activity that is directly related to what you are doing in class, students will have a deeper understanding of the topic. I also believe that the time it takes to have the students interacting through discourse for review topics that many in the class struggled with will often have more of an impact than re-teaching a topic.

I really liked the Headbands activity, even though it requires the most work up front. I saw more ways that I could incorporate this into my classroom. One thing I really like about this activity is that it requires all students to do the math. Many of my students, including my higher level students, struggle with adding and subtracting integers, as well as solving simple equations, which this could be great for.

• Betsy Lesley

June 28, 2021 at 4:01 pm

These are really good first week activities to get to know each other.

I’ve used WODB and 2T1L from mashup math, need to do this more often.

• Penny Johansson

June 28, 2021 at 5:09 pm

My biggest takeaway is that my math classes need to have more discussions and there are multiple routes to take to achieve this discourse to build their reasoning and communication skills.

Honestly, in my room, there is nothing of this quality to generate discussion.

• Terri Bond

June 28, 2021 at 11:50 pm

My biggest take-away from Lesson 2.5 is that Students need as much time as possible talking about math, defending their reasoning, and refining their estimates. All these methods make math so much for fun and exciting!

My favorite resources are Would You Rather Math and Estimation 180.

I like WYRM because right away, it requires kids to make a mathematical choice, and then defend their choice. I can see this being used in all grade levels. It would be great fun for me as an Interventionist to do the same problem in different grades and see the variety and range of explanations.

I also really like Estimation 180 because it incorporates a series of estimations based on a theme. It gives kids a chance to use what they learned the previous day to tweak their reasoning the next day.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Terri Bond.
    • Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      June 29, 2021 at 6:27 am

So great to hear that you’re excited about reasoning and proving in math class as well as leveraging some of these resources to help you make it happen!

• Andrea Cadman

June 29, 2021 at 1:25 pm

I have seen and used pretty much all of these resources and find each one to have its benefits. The problem I have is that I get overwhelmed by having so many great things to choose from. There is not enough time to do all the cool things I want to do. To that end, I think what will impact me the most from this section of the course was the part of setting my goals or criteria for every lesson and focusing on those to narrow my choices so I am not going crazy trying to decide this or that. Keeping the criteria in mind (once I come up with my own), I think I will better be able to look at what things really fit and support the particular lesson/concept I am working on.

• Rachael Young

July 5, 2021 at 4:15 am

My biggest takeaway is a commitment to starting every lesson with a short tuning-in activity, I do it probably bout 50% of the time but the mental drain of constantly creating new ones takes a toll. I really like these sites as being grab-and-go. Thanks!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 5, 2021 at 9:20 am

Definitely helpful!! Glad you found them useful.

• Jeff Harvey

July 5, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Biggest Take-aways

-Promote Student Ownership. How?

-Peak their curiosity using tasks; headbands, wodb, would your rather, estimation180, open middle, math before bed and 2 truths and a lie.

-Provide time for students to engage in the mathematics, make a stand and justify their answers with supporting evidence.

-Be assessing and observing student thinking constantly

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jeff Harvey.
  • Monica Horn

July 5, 2021 at 1:54 pm

I started using WODB midway through the year as a math talk. I love these different ideas. I see myself making a rotation of these different tasks to increase number sense and provide variety. I like how the math before bed contains more elementary school ideas. I also started using a different website for estimation – Steven Wyborney’s – but want to add a too high and too low estimation option to further spark curiosity. Great ideas!

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      July 6, 2021 at 7:25 am

Steve’s resources are pretty great!

• Linda Andres

July 6, 2021 at 6:19 pm

I really enjoyed this lesson with all the useful resources for engaging students in reasoning and collaboration. I would use them all with variations for grade 3 in some cases.

I especially look forward to using some of the Math Before Bed resources to encourage math talk between students. I find students entering my room tend to either use set algorithms or believe they aren’t good at math. And yet, when I give problem-solving situations with multiple possibilities, I find a different understanding of the students’ mathematical thinking and understanding of numeracy.

I can’t wait for the year to start now so I can begin warming up the students with some of these ideas.

• Lisamarie Barnes

July 8, 2021 at 3:35 pm

For my second year of teaching, I am moving from 5th grade Math/Science to 1st grade. (As I shift my thinking, I keep wishing I had some of these resources in my tool kit last year.) My take away from 2.5 is that I have to be willing to relinquish some control and trust that my students will have mathematical discussions when presented with a challenge.

I can see myself using Headbands, WYRM, and Estimation180 regularly with my first graders.

Headbands…place value, money, patterns, etc.

WYRM…great way to start a morning meeting and get their minds ready for the day

Estimation180…students struggle with understanding and applying estimation strategies…this resource presents non-threatening scenarios

I’m looking forward to implementing math fights to encourage discourse and foster a classroom community that respects multiple points of views.

• Tracy Arriola

July 8, 2021 at 7:41 pm

My biggest takeaway from this lesson is finding ways to get my class to discuss math. I need to give students an opportunity to talk about math, use math terms to defend their thoughts. This should not be a special occasion, because there are more than enough resources and they provide much-needed thinking about math.

I really like the WODB because once they have one that they feel doesn’t belong, they can look for another. I like that the thinking doesn’t stop with one answer.

All of the resources seem to have a low set-up.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 9, 2021 at 7:22 am

Great reflection! It is so true that we don’t want students talking in math class to be an event. We want it to be a part of the culture baked in each and every day. These activities are great ways to start building that culture. Thanks for sharing!

• Jenn Stuart

July 9, 2021 at 9:27 am

Is the importance of discussion. I have used many of the websites listed while online this past term. I love the focus being on the discussion. I am excited to have my students create their own questions, that was a neat, new idea!

• Joanne Duval

July 10, 2021 at 6:42 pm

I used Estimation 180 and activities from the book Daily Routines Jump Start Math Class by J.SanGiovanni (available for elementary and Middle school) this year to start every math class. It really put a positive spin on the class and got everyone involved. This segment gave me some ideas about what to call this and to expand my “rounds” beyond what I am already doing. Varying the activities we do keeps it fresh!

• Jill Miles

July 11, 2021 at 3:43 pm

I am super excited to share this with my team for the next school year. With the crazy last year+, we know that our students are coming with some bigger gaps than normal. A math fight would be a terrific (and fun) way to get students up and moving and to get a great understanding of just where they are in their knowledge/understanding of math terminology.

• Velia Kearns

July 12, 2021 at 4:30 pm

My biggest take-away from “Math Fight” is that students are really proud of their own work. This strategy is also differentiated. There is not just ONE answer for it to be right.
    They talk, they see the options (if it’s the M/C type: “Which one doesn’t belong?”)
    They talk, to help people their friend figure out their value (“Headbands”)
    They talk, to defend their choice of this or that (“Would you Rather?”)
    and more… They TALK!

Working around the room, getting up and making it a fun/work period is how that might change my class – not just to sit down and by themselves try the questions – not even knowing if they did their answers correctly, but working with others in a productive way to get more confident with what they are doing during class time.

• Holly Dybvig

July 13, 2021 at 5:11 pm

The math fight is a great way to do a spiral warm-up or review for a test. This is a great way to spur discussion. When working through problems or questions as a whole I will ask for many different answers and ask them to defend themselves before I will confirm the correct answer. Often times they will end up correcting their own misconceptions.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      July 14, 2021 at 7:03 am

It’s a great gateway to spiralling more of your standards/curriculum.

• Mary Jackson

July 16, 2021 at 12:28 pm

My major takeaway was that it is very important to use these tools consistently to help create a safe, thinking classroom. My favorite tool was the Estimate 180 tool that used a double clothesline activity. I plan to use the one that they created and develop several ones that match my Grade 8 learning targets.

• Jon Orr

Administrator
      July 17, 2021 at 8:24 am

So true…consistency is what will make this work!

• Susan Imker

July 17, 2021 at 5:07 pm

I think all of these resources would be a great addition to my classroom, especially the Would You Rather, Which One Doesn’t Belong, and Estimation180. I plan to incorporate many of these this year as warm-ups.

My biggest takeaway from this lesson, though, was the suggestion to get students to create their own math problems to get them to take ownership and get more involved. I know that I definitely need to do far fewer teacher-led activities and far more activities where students share their thinking and discuss with one another.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 18, 2021 at 8:39 am

Love it! Glad you enjoyed this lesson and have a big take away to bring back into your math class!

• Denny Nelson

July 19, 2021 at 6:53 pm

Actually, one of the most helpful things for me was how to decide which resources to use. Finally, look at the cost compared to what you get out of it.

Of course the resources were also helpful. I remember being recommended Estimation 180 before and honestly, I never used it. I think I needed to see an example and have some talk about it and think time so now I feel ready to use that and other resources.

Often I’ll hear of something and think, “That looks good but how would I really use it? Is it really going to help?” Thank you! Not only is a “math fight” (a.k.a. “discussion”) important but making decisions as a teacher for my group of students is important.

For example, the headbandz game might have “cost too much” for my particular group of students I had a few years ago. The group I get this year might be ready to handle something like that partially due to the report I was able to develop with

• Serina Signorello

July 26, 2021 at 10:46 pm

I am very excited to start some Math Fights in my classroom this year. I’ve used several of these resources but I’ve never used Headbands in the classroom, mostly because of COVID. I look forward to trying it out. I just started listening to Estimation 180 podcast and can’t wait to implement these prompts in to build discussions. I LOVE the idea of having students create 2 truths and a lie questions. Do they include videos in their questions? Do they have a day to plan and then a day to execute?

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 27, 2021 at 7:05 am

So glad to hear it!
      There are so many different ways to go about these. The idea of planning one day, executing the next could be really fun. We’ve typically done it all “in the moment”.

• Cherry Perentesis

July 27, 2021 at 4:39 pm

My biggest takeaway is the importance of having students discuss the math. So much learning takes place when they simply talk math and hopefully debate their ideas. I love how lots of these activities have more than one correct answer, so students can actively defend their solution and both students can walk away feeling good about their answer and knowing more about the math…a win/win for sure!

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      July 28, 2021 at 6:45 am

Absolutely! When we turn the tables to focus more on students articulating their thinking vs simple answer getting, we know we are headed in the right direction.

• Mary Rathlev

August 1, 2021 at 4:33 pm

We have a group of teachers who researched and came up with 10 Number Sense Routines which include Which One Doesn’t Belong as well as Estimation 180. We built these into our curriculum in two week rotation. A favorite is Splat.

• ann Martin

August 4, 2021 at 8:23 pm

My biggest take away is having kids discuss and defend their math ideas. I am also excited to have them create some of their own Two Truths and a Lie challenges. Awesome resources!

• Vanessa Watt

August 5, 2021 at 3:32 pm

I like the Two Truths and a Lie activity, especially having the students creating their own. I really want to work on being less the sage on the stage, and more the guide on the side in my classroom, and I can see that as one tool that will help.

I also like the concept of starting each class with a discussion which grows from any of the other 5 ideas. I have used WODB before, and it is great hearing all the different ideas that everyone has.

• Vanessa Weske

August 11, 2021 at 5:28 pm

My biggest take away is that these fights encourage discourse. These arguments really emphasize students being able to construct viable arguments and listen to the reasoning of peers. It is also really engaging, collaborative and builds classroom community. I have used a few of these resources previously and also like to use Jo Boaler’s Week of Inspirational Maths tasks to stimulate discourse. https://www.youcubed.org/week-inspirational-math/#wim

• Valentina Mejia

August 16, 2021 at 10:36 pm

I love how dynamic these activities are! I have done two truths and a lie but I like the idea of incorporating more of these discussion questions where I don’t have to lead the discussion! I think I will be trying the “Headbandz” or “which one doesn’t belong” with divisibility rules.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 17, 2021 at 6:48 am

Fantastic! Looking forward to hearing your progress!

• Peggy Allen

August 19, 2021 at 7:54 pm

My biggest take away from this lesson is how you’ve created an opportunity for students to get down and dirty while demonstrating what they know about math. I have used Would You Rather Math and WODB in class with students as warmups but not in the form of a Math fight. This is exciting; mine was boring. Math fights will elevate students to a position where they can really show the power of their knowledge by putting forth very reasonable or justifiable arguments for their choice or choices. I am all in.

I am keen to introduce Estimation180 and Two Truths and One Lie as part of our math fights. With students working in groups for Two Truths and One Lie, some strong collaboration skills can develop. I am excited to see what students can do with these new sites.

There are other websites that I have used in class: 1) nrich.maths.org 2) Inky puzzles and 3) visualpatterns.org. The nrich.maths site includes a wealth of problems with varying levels and open-endedness. Many of these problems are great to use for the high-flyers. Inky puzzles are wonderful to use for improving number sense. The visual patterns website is interesting because it focuses first on what students notice and wonder before tackling the problem.

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
      August 20, 2021 at 7:07 am

Great take aways and awesome adds to the resource bank for everyone here. Nrich is a fantastic site that has a ton of awesome thinking problems as well as visualpatterns.org
      Keep up the great work!

• Dawn Oliver

September 22, 2021 at 9:36 pm

I love this and can’t wait to implement this in the classroom. I mostly teach credit recovery and we already use Notice and Wonders, but I have n’t been able to try them in person yet (Covid 😭). My biggest take away from the “How to Start a Math Fight…” is how engaging the activities seem. I think the majority of students will buy into it and then the resistant ones will follow. I am definitely going to try to incorporate these activities in my teaching. Thanks for all the resources.

Other resources: I use Teachers Pay Teachers for activities. I have found Escape Room activities and projects for different assignments. Teacherspayteachers.com

Viewing 1 - 61 of 61 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now